Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cleaning watch chains "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Does anyone have a favorite way of cleaning watch chains? Or do most collectors leave the chains in as found condition? Thanks

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Wayne,

I immerse them in "Tarn-X" then use a soft toothbrush as needed. Sometimes it takes several times to get them clean. Afterwards washing and rinsing followed by a hair dryer.

Remember "Tarn-X" is a very strong cleaner, so start out leaving the chain in a very short time 'til you develop some experience with using it. It also has a less than pleasant odor, so brace yourself!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Lindell,
Thanks for the tip about "Tarn-X". If it has a less than pleasant odor, does that have any affect the next time you brush your teeth with the toothbrush? Smile

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Wayne,

Yuch! Sorry, perhaps the words "old, used" should be understood before "toothbrush" in my recommendation.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
another good cleaner i use on my chains and also on watch cases is a product called jewelite made by connoisseurs ,,i buy it at walmart it comes with a liile basket to dip your jewelry in and a small soft bristle brush ,,its the best product i have tried works great they also make a product for silver..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
I use my wife's ultra-sonic jewelry cleaner. It works on all kinds of chains. Just a little detergent and water is all that is needed.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002