Internet Horology Club 185
Cleaning watch chains

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5146029761/m/673103305

September 06, 2004, 11:40
Wayne C. Anderson
Cleaning watch chains
Does anyone have a favorite way of cleaning watch chains? Or do most collectors leave the chains in as found condition? Thanks

September 06, 2004, 11:51
Lindell V. Riddle

Wayne,

I immerse them in "Tarn-X" then use a soft toothbrush as needed. Sometimes it takes several times to get them clean. Afterwards washing and rinsing followed by a hair dryer.

Remember "Tarn-X" is a very strong cleaner, so start out leaving the chain in a very short time 'til you develop some experience with using it. It also has a less than pleasant odor, so brace yourself!

Lindell

Wink

September 06, 2004, 12:08
Wayne C. Anderson
Lindell,
Thanks for the tip about "Tarn-X". If it has a less than pleasant odor, does that have any affect the next time you brush your teeth with the toothbrush? Smile

September 06, 2004, 14:09
Lindell V. Riddle

Wayne,

Yuch! Sorry, perhaps the words "old, used" should be understood before "toothbrush" in my recommendation.

Lindell

Wink

September 06, 2004, 14:55
Samie L. Smith
another good cleaner i use on my chains and also on watch cases is a product called jewelite made by connoisseurs ,,i buy it at walmart it comes with a liile basket to dip your jewelry in and a small soft bristle brush ,,its the best product i have tried works great they also make a product for silver..
September 06, 2004, 16:21
Jerry Freedman
I use my wife's ultra-sonic jewelry cleaner. It works on all kinds of chains. Just a little detergent and water is all that is needed.