Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I finaly bought a lathe "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Hi
I finally found a lathe on ebay in my price range. Of course I will have to buy some things for it like a drawbar and tool rest. Its a peerless and looks to be in good shape. I have a few questions while I am waiting for it to arrive.

A motor - what kind of motor do I need? How powerful?

Collets - What collets should I be looking for at first? I would like to try and make balance staff's and possibly stems.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
The lathe came today and its exactly as pictured. But to my surprise there was a drawbar in the box, so there is one less thing I need. Not bad for a $100 lathe, most I have seen go for way more.

I have been looking into the motor and from what I can tell an old sewing machine motor will work. But I am still in the dark as to what type and kind of collet/s to get.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
greetings jim, there are a number of peerless collets on ebay he is asking 9.95 apiece the ebay number is:260860413566. i have a motor for a watchmakers i would be willing to part with. i will dig it out this weekend. i also have a pully setup. goodluck. eddie

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
posted
Thanks Eddie. Smile

posted
You can make a drawbar. I've made a couple. If you purchase the correct tap (can be found on ebay) and know someone with a larger lathe.....

Posts: 16 | Location: Oregon in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2015