Internet Horology Club 185
I finaly bought a lathe

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5146029761/m/5423944667

October 04, 2011, 01:02
Jim Bielefeldt
I finaly bought a lathe
Hi Hi
I finally found a lathe on ebay in my price range. Of course I will have to buy some things for it like a drawbar and tool rest. Its a peerless and looks to be in good shape. I have a few questions while I am waiting for it to arrive.

A motor - what kind of motor do I need? How powerful?

Collets - What collets should I be looking for at first? I would like to try and make balance staff's and possibly stems.

Thanks in advance.

October 07, 2011, 16:46
Jim Bielefeldt
The lathe came today and its exactly as pictured. But to my surprise there was a drawbar in the box, so there is one less thing I need. Not bad for a $100 lathe, most I have seen go for way more.

I have been looking into the motor and from what I can tell an old sewing machine motor will work. But I am still in the dark as to what type and kind of collet/s to get.
October 07, 2011, 16:58
Eddie G. Hines
greetings jim, there are a number of peerless collets on ebay he is asking 9.95 apiece the ebay number is:260860413566. i have a motor for a watchmakers i would be willing to part with. i will dig it out this weekend. i also have a pully setup. goodluck. eddie
October 07, 2011, 22:03
Jim Bielefeldt
Thanks Eddie. Smile
November 19, 2015, 23:53
David Moss
You can make a drawbar. I've made a couple. If you purchase the correct tap (can be found on ebay) and know someone with a larger lathe.....