Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watch repair tools "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Where is a good place to purchase a medium quality watch repair kit for a beginner?

Do any members sell such?

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Ed,
There are many horological supply companies. I would avoid ordering a kit. The first step would be to determine what tools you will actually use. Ebay is a great source for tools. You want to stay away from products not manufactured in Switzerland, Germany, and the USA. In many cases the old tools are better than the new ones. Do not buy new cheap tools. If you are going for new stuff stick to Bergeon and Horia. I suggest getting a good book on watch repair so you will know what you need and what you don't. Right now you can get the entire Chicago School of Watchmaking course on cd for around $40 on Ebay.

Some of the basic tools would be a set of screwdrivers, demagnetizer, cleaning machine, oilers, watch paper, pith wood, peg wood, and tweezers. A staking set is another tool that can be used for many watch repair jobs.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Buy the best tweezers and screwdrivers. Skimping on tools will only result in your having to buy the same type of tool twice. Cheap tools don't work for watchmaking. I'm sure there's been a list posted before of all the basic tools and the preferred brands.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Scott and Frank,
Thanks for the input.
I am a newbe at this and thought I would start by taking apart a nonworking 18s or 16s watch and puting it back together for training. Maybe replacing a crystal.
I agree with you that I would be better off getting the best and forgetting about it.
Any suggestion on tools I would need now to perform the tasks I suggesed?

Thanks
Ed

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
There's a pretty good basic course at the Time Zone Watch School. It will teach you a lot of basic things and good habits. Just starting out yourself you're very likely to develop bad habits that will make it harder for you to do a good job down the road.

IHC Member
posted
Ed: Do yourself a big favor and don't start with a full plate movement; they can be a pain to reassemble and you don't need the extra challenge...believe me,friend!

Marty

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Marty,
Thanks ,I was wondering about that very option.

Can anyone tell me what size screw drivers are needed to work on 16s,18s watches.

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Not to be Snarky or anything, but the screwdrivers you need are good ones. You also need a good stone to sharpen them with when they get dull. I have used screwdrivers from a couple different companies and the only ones worth the price are the Bergeon set. You pretty much need the basic 9 or 10 screwdriver set. If you buy a cheap Indian or Chinese set you will regret it.

Picture of Bob Williams
posted
Good information , thanks to everyone

Bob Williams

Posts: 52 | Location: Toledo, Ohio in the USA | Registered: March 05, 2008
posted
i am just starding out,
any one have some tools for sale?
thanks

Posts: 3 | Location: Erie, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: May 13, 2009
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello John....Welcome to IHC185, thanks for stoping in to visit with us....

In our members only area of the site, we have on going auctions for every type of horological tool needed for the beginner up to the expert level....

I would suggest that you join us, it's only $12.00 a year and the amount of help one receives thru our membership is amazing....

Once you have become a full member you will be free to visit and participate in the entire website....

You can go here and take care of it right now if you like....

To Become a Member

Good Luck....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
thansJarry i had tride, i dont know what i am doing wrong,but i would like to be a member.
thanks

posted
jerry ,i think i got it.
ps sorry i speld your name wrong.(and everyting als

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thank you John for your IHC185 dues.

The "Members Only" areas are now open for you.

As Jerry pointed out above as an IHC185 Member you have access to our BUY AND SELL HERE, THE IHC185™ TRADING MART

Welcome aboard and enjoy!

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5225 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Congratulations John, on becoming a full member....You will find that it is the best money you ever spent....

Be sure and check back often in our auction forums as there is tools of all kinds put up for sale by our members....

If you have any questions at all feel free to ask them, someone will always give you an honest answer....

Again, WELCOME ON BOARD THE 185 EXPRESS....We are going places....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008