Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A 130 Year "New" Hampden "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Another post discussed our dearth of Hampden discussions and I promised top show this Hampden made in 1878 during the "reign" of James Abbe when I was done with it after cleaning. Before . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
After cleanup, the movement looked "factory new" . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
And of course its always hard to beat a 3 ounce coin silver case . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
All in All a really nice 130 year "new" Hampden "Hayward" model

posted
Hey David,
Very nice job.
I'm curious,Is this your watch? I have one just like it and,while I do my own repair work,I really don't know how to get that "new" look to the plates.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Cecil, Yes it is part of my Hampden Collection.

As for cleaning the plates, with the exception of screwed in Hole Jewels, EVERYTHING comes off the plates. Then I do an Alcohol*/Toothbrush plate wash to remove the organic stuff and a 15-18 minute spin clean with L&R "extra fine" Watch Cleaning solution, 5 minutes in L&R #3 rinse, dry and a complete plate wipe-down with clean Rodico. By that time anything that is "gonna come off came off"
*Printer's pure 100% isopropyl Aclohol cleaner is good for this

ABRASIVE STUFF OF ANY KIND IS A NO-NO

btw, some of the early cleaners actually dulled the plate finish, God knows what that stuff was, but I think it is only used in the Gas Chamber now. Eek