Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden Dials "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
A couple of sweet 18s Hampden dials that I would like to own. This one was up on ebay a few months back with a BIN of $325 and 3 bids then it disappeared at the BIN price. Hampden Grade 60 in a double hinged GF Hampden display case.

The Grade #60 was the open faced version of the identically described Hampden Railway which was a hunting model prior to 1889.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1541
posted
And this dial is usually seen in a 12s (Thanks for the info Deacon) but was on a 16s non working Wm. McKinley, went for $61.

Both of these put me in mind of the Waltham Railroader dial.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Lorne,

I'm not a much of a Hampden collector, but I too love radial dials. Canadian-style 24-hour radials, especial the RN kind, are the cat's you-know-what in my book. Smile

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1541
posted
quote:
the cat's you-know-what

You mean meow, correct? Smile

Here is another for your viewing pleasure.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Yeah, something like that, and thanks for the eye candy!

That one's a real beauty and proportioned just right so the 17 & 19 numerals aren't partly clipped off by the seconds bit. That is something you don't see too often.

This is about as bad as that "clipped 17 & 19" problem gets on a Waltham M1883 -- they are almost completely eclipsed:

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1541
posted
I have noticed the clippage but never had the two extremes side by side for comparison.

It is quite a difference yet no jeopardy to the Hampden as far as reading the seconds.