• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Looking for information on a Dueber. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a Dueber 18s pocket watch I just got on ebay. The serial number on the movement is 732207. Could someone give me a little information about this watch? Just the year of production would be great.

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Larry,
It is likely a 15j, model 2, gilt, lever set, unadjusted, hunting movement but without a pic I am not absolutely certain. Production date should be around 1891.

Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
posted
Kenny,
Thanks for the reply.Here's a scan of the movement. Unless there are missing jewels on the pillar plate side my guess would be that this could be a 17 jewel. I'll know more after I clean it.

Larry

Dueber

posted
Dial Side.

Larry

Dueber

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
With no jewel in the center it is unlikely to be 17J. If the pillar plate is not jeweled, it is 11J. If the pillar plate is jeweled, it is 15J.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Tom,
I have it apart now and the jewel count is 16. The center wheel is jeweled in the top plate but not in the pillar plate. It also has a hairspring stud like a Hamilton. Did Hamilton make watches for Dueber at first?

Larry

Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Larry,
I`ll stick with my first post except for the gilt movement. The dial looks correct for the movement also.

Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
posted
Kenny,
What about the jewel count?

Larry

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Larry, Your Hampden has one of those "Teske Regulators on it."

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Larry,
Hampden did make a Dueber grade, 18s, 16 jewels, h/c, model 2, lever set. Yours did not list as such in the Hampden Watch Co. serial number book. Where you have the watch in hand, I'd say the book is wrong.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Larry,
I had typed a reply earlier today but when I clicked to post it the site was down. I posted my second reply without seeing yours about it being 16j.
Brian is correct, there is a 16j listed for this model. The center hole didn`t appear to be jeweled (bad eyes, dark monitor). Shows how wrong one can be without an in-hand inspection,
Never heard of Hamilton making movements or parts for Hampden so would think not.

Red Face Smile

Kenny

posted
I guess the hairspring stud had me wondering.Thanks for all the information.

Larry

posted
As far as Hamilton goes, one of Hampden watch designers went on to a long career with Hamilton after he left Hampden. Ed Thouvenin is writing an article on this very fellow and the similarites between the balance cock on both (I forgot the fellow name- I will get it tomorrow). Mike

Posts: 87 | Location: Home of Hampden Watches, Canton Ohio USA | Registered: January 18, 2004
posted
Thanks Mike,
I was wondering if there might be some conection.

Larry