• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South Bend 293 Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just picked up this grade 293. According to the serial database #438610 puts it in the first run for this grade.

However, after looking through the literature I couldn't find anything on the dial. Is it period correct for this movement. I would think being a "Railroad" grade the 293 should have a dial with arabic numerals. Unless the original buyer opted for this style?

I'd love to hear what others have to say.

I apologize for the terrible photos. I haven't had time to take new ones yet.

Posts: 82 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: May 25, 2010
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Adonya,
This same dial fronts my SB 291--#384521.
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
posted
I checked my 293's from the same run and my 292 from the run. the 293's have the same dial, my 292 has a metal dial, but i'm sure it is not original to the watch as the case has been changed also.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Thank you Tony and Jared for your replies. It would appear that this is a correct dial then! I can now breathe a sigh of relief. Wink

IHC Member 665
posted
My grade 293 is 505155 and it also has the same dial. These are a pretty nice watch.

Posts: 209 | Location: East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: December 31, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
I need to add this one to my wish list. Big Grin

Nice watch!

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Adonya,

For watches produced by SB in 1903 (per the online database) I have recorded 52 examples. Two have Arabic dials and a font that is found in the twenties and are certainly replacements for the original dials, or some other event. One has a metal dial that looks like a repo dial. All the rest are Porcelain, Roman #'s, have red numerals above the hour marker, some are single-sunk, some double-sunk, and they all have that type of heavy Gothic script for the company name. The exception is some of the dials for the 6s movements that have a clean style that looks like "Arial Bold Italic" used for the South Bend name.

My opinion is that the movement and dial of your watch is likely to be an original combination. Furthermore, it is likely to be an original combination because that pairing appears to have been the norm during 1903-1904, while the South Bend management and senior staff (like Higginbotham) were deciding what changes were to be made.

Best regards,

Frank

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Frank,

Thank you for your in-depth analysis. I'm always blown away by the knowledge people like you have on these forums and am trying to learn as much as I can about South Bend as they are my favorites!

Thanks again! Big Grin