posted
An early transitional wind movement.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Frank

I wonder if your Holler Watch Company was Peter Holler, he was a watch maker & jeweler living in Brooklyn NY in the 1870's up into the 1900's. He was born Jan 26, 1850 in Cologne Germany.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the movement from my 16s Columbus HC. It is very similar to Franks except this one is not adjusted.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
posted
I picked up this Columbus a year ago in Columbia, SC. It needed a main spring and a regulator adjusting gear.

Dennis Lockwood

Posts: 13 | Location: Sunny South Carolina in the USA | Registered: February 05, 2009
posted
Nice heavy glass crystal and hinged 925 silver case with coin edge.

Dennis Lockwood

Posts: 13 | Location: Sunny South Carolina in the USA | Registered: February 05, 2009
posted
The dust cover is engraved "Patrick Tuffen."

Dennis Lockwood

posted
Early serial number shows that it is a transitional model ca. 1886. The 15j watch was missing the regulator adjusting gear when I bought it. I still don't have a key for it. The damaskeening washed out in this photo. It has a unique rectangular damaskeening.
This was probably a premium watch in 1886. Nickel damaskeening was just becoming popular and it was reserved for the top of the line watches. Combined with a 925 silver case, Patrick Tuffen owned a very flashy watch. He must have been a man of distinction, although I haven't been able to find out anything about him.

Dennis Lockwood

posted
925 silver case.

Dennis Lockwood

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Nice watch Dennis. Is it possible the last name could be Tutten & not Tuffen? The reason I ask I can not find one Patrick Tuffen in census records but I do find Patrick Tutten.

Tom

posted
Wow, those are some fine looking watches, I've only owned one and sold it years ago..Wish I would've kept it now.
This is the only Columbus photo I have. Big Grin

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
quote:
I wonder if your Holler Watch Company was Peter Holler, he was a watch maker & jeweler living in Brooklyn NY in the 1870's up into the 1900's. He was born Jan 26, 1850 in Cologne Germany.

Tom, your guess is as good (and probably much better) than mine. It does seem to be very common for PL's to be associated with large stores and especially jewelry. Personally I'm not particularly interested* in PL's unless they happen to be South Bends. Smile

I know there has been a thread before (4 years ago?) devoted to PL's but I don't think it would hurt to have a new one. For myself, I think I might just start one in the South Bend Forum for South Bend PL's.

*One PL watch that I was interested in was commissioned by a gentleman who used to live about 4 blocks away from me.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Frank

I think it was Peter Holler, I did a little more searching & found the Holler Watch Company was located at 66 Broadway Brooklyn. With that address I found a NY Times article that mentioned a Jeweler Peter Holler of 66 Broadway, the article was dated Feb. 9. 1896.

If you would like the article I can email it to you, it is too long to post here.

This is from the Brooklyn city directory of 1894

Tom

cd

posted
Tom,

Thanks. Tutten? Tuffen? It looks like Tuffen to me, but I cannot argue with Tutten also. The watch was part of a large pocket watch estate auction, so it came with no explanation. I will look into Patrick Tutten's life.

What an interesting hobby we have. You start with a watch and end up researching the original owner's life. When you are done, you feel like you know the guy.

Thanks for your kind words.

Dennis Lockwood

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Dennis

You are a better judge of what it might say, I was just trying to guess at another possible name. I have trouble reading some of that old type of script.

Tom

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Railway King dial

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Railway King Movement

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Latest columbus watch added to my collection. Won on ebay but it was a non runner and the case would not close. I wanted the watch because it had a nice hunter log dial and hands.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Chris Abell serviced the watch and it is now a keeper. Serial number--185706

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Tony beautiful Columbus i love the dial. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Here is a busy dial on a movement I found. It has a two tone movement also.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Here is a nice 6s dial no hairlines

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
New member, thought I would post pictures of a nice Columbus:

Ross Frank

Columbus King 18 S 23J

Posts: 14 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 03, 2010
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Nice watch Ross!

And welcome to IHC185.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5207 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is a photo of the movement of my recent purchase Columbus transitional watch from 1883. It is key-wind and stem/lever set.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
posted
Here is a picture of my Columbus, quite early with a low serial number. This is a 15jewel adjusted Ca: 1883 K/W L/S. Hunter.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
case

posted
dial

posted
case2

posted
case3

posted
case4

posted
dial2

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Bill,
Great looking movement. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.
Tony

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
IN May 2007, I picked up this Columbus and as it had a Broken staff I put it away and forgot itFrown . . . so it "turned up" a few months ago as I was rummaging. Today with what I have learned in 5 years with IHC185 I approached the issue again, tried a South Bend staff, and it now is back to running Railroads + + + + +. Columbus went "all the way" finishing this movement. Even the train wheels are damaskeened! Eek

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007