• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Resurrecting a 229 Studebaker "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all, I've been collecting watches (wrist and pocket) for several years now and just found this site as I was hunting a pallet fork for a 229 movement. I had questions about interchangeability, but I believe the pallet fork bridge in the 229 has a cap jewel and I am not nearly educated enough to know how that affects interchangeability. Any help with this would be wonderful!

I currently own 2 south Bend pocket watches, a 229 and a 217.

Posts: 14 | Location: Oklahoma in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2015
posted
Hi Curtis,

Please check following link http://library.ihc185.com/SB/index.htm

You can find there a lot of useful information about South Bend watches, also parts catalogues you might be interested - there are information in which grades parts were used.

Rafal

Posts: 266 | Location: Wroclaw in Poland | Registered: May 06, 2013
posted
Wow, great information there, thanks for directing me to it!

So, it appears the pallet fork is not interchangeable with any other grade except maybe early 223's, right? Probably not a great chance of finding a relatively inexpensive parts movement.

Any ideas on where I could get a pallet fork otherwise? Thanks again for the help.

posted
What is serial number or year of manufacturing of your 229?

posted
I believe it's approx 1910 sn.622484.

posted
please check
http://library.ihc185.com/SB/1917/Image75.jpg

look for 37242 as your serial number is below 627901

You have said that you have grade 217, its worth to check if those forks can be exchanged.... and if answer is yes, you would need a donor watch.

You may also try http://www.watchesbyhourminsec...ID=1289&CategoryID=6 there is always a chance Smile

Rafal

IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi Curtis,

The serial number you have given is for a 21 Jewel watch which has cap jewels, best bet for a similar fork would be a Grade 227 as this is also a 21 jewel watch. The 217 is only a 17 jewel and does not have cap jewels, the fork from it would be a suitable replacement for a Grade 223 Studebaker, not the Grade 229.

Cheers,
bila

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
So, I'm on the hunt for a donor 227. Thanks for all the help and advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Wish I knew more about the forks in that link. I'll try to contact them to see if they have any more info.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Just thought I would let you know that there is a good chance that a fellow member here might have the part you are looking for.

To access the "Internet Horology Club: sales & wanted to buy" part of the forum board you need to become a member.

This is an easy exercise to accomplish and only costs $12 for a yearly membership (if you haven't already done so), very cheap indeed for access to the amount of knowledge available here from other members and the research forums, this low fee also helps contribute to keep the Club afloat.

Best Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011