Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Predecessor to South Bend "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Hi

I just purchased this 6s 16j Columbus Pocket Watch off of Ebay. Columbus Watch Co. was purchased by the Studebaker's and formed the South Bend Watch Co. Is there any serial number listing known for the Columbus Watch Co. As the South Bend 6s movements are very scarce, does that hold true for the Columbus 6s movements? The example that is pictured is late and marked New Columbus.

Any thoughts.

Posts: 854 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 48
posted
The Movement

Posts: 854 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 48
posted
This watch cleaned up very nice and is now running. I do need to fix the setting mechanism. Could someone post a picture of a properly functioning 6s movement with the dial off.

Thanks

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Now I know who I was bidding against! Well, I'm glad it cleaned up well. The keyless works should look like this:

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Member 48
posted
Thanks Frank for the reference picture. This helps a lot. I am missing the spring which puts tension on the lever set arm. Any out there for sale?

Now do we have a serial number list and how few of these are there. If South Bend serial number start at 380,000 or so. And if Columbus started at 1 then the total production is around 380,000 watches. Very small compared to other large companies which would have produced 380,000 of one grade.