• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South Bend 16s Model 2 Pocket Watch Staff Repair! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
For all the repair enthusiasts out there, just an FYI on South Bend Staffs for their 16s model 2 watches. They were built in both single roller and double roller format, but used the same staff! The part number is either 18,28,38 followed by 7018. 187018 was the barely polished part number and the 387018 was the highly polished part number with the 287018 being the middle grade.

again, on Model 2 16s South Bend single roller pocket watches, you will still need to buy a south bend double roller staff for it. This is even true for some of the later model 1 16s South Bends. There may be a few exceptions out there, but none that I am aware of.

I have included a picture of both a single roller setup and double roller setup for viewing. The single roller is on the left, double roller is on the right. You will notice that even on the single roller staff that there is still the location for the safety roller to be added if it were used in a double roller watch. you will also notice the difference of the notch by the roller jewel on the single roller model, which is not there on the double roller model...

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009

posted
Thanks - JCB

Smile

Peter - let me find one to send to AZ

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Thank you Jared great info and help.
I love this place!

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1110
posted
Jared, that was a smart idea on South Bend's part.Must have saved them some money.Why make two different staffs, when you can use just one for S.R. & D.R.? Thank you, Ted.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Ted-

I agree. I'm sure it was some influence of Mr. Higginbotham to do this and was ahead of other companies at that time and was a standard for grades like the 992b to follow with the ease of interchageability of parts.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
Jared,I think you're right,that idea probably came from C.T.H., I think he was one of the greatest minds in the watch world at that time.South Bend, for a smaller company that came so late to the party,seemed to be really on the ball.They made some awful nice watches! Thanks, Ted.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008