• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

grade 204 question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have acquired recently two grade 204 watches and I've noticed that there are some differences regarding movement. Have anyone noticed it before? I couldn't find anything on the forum. Maybe it needs a little of research?

first type

Posts: 266 | Location: Wroclaw in Poland | Registered: May 06, 2013
posted
and another one:

2nd type

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Rafal,

Having variations or upgrades in movement markings was a common practice in watch manufacturing. Some grades of South-Bend Watches have entirely different damaskeening designs over their years of production. It is interesting to observe and many of us as serious collectors want "one of each" variant of a particular grade in our collections.

Your later Grade 204 carries a simpler, more modern look common to later South-Bend movements.

Among the better known of such things are the (click these words) four basic types of regular production Hamilton 992B movements and for that matter there were also 992B military versions.

Keep up the great work on expanding your collection!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thank you Lindell. I thought it may be interesting to add it to database as a model variant as some other grads have (i.e. grade 211).

Rafal