Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South-Bend Purple Ribbon Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Menber 3062
posted
I noticed last night, on one of the pages of ads I scanned, there was one, mid 20s?, referencing South Bend and a purple ribbon standard of some sort with a watch chain included.

Does anyone have an actual South Bend Purple Ribbon watch device? I have noticed occasional watch ribbons, when searching around for watch chain images, but that I remember, most I believe I’ve noticed have been black.

Any comments or information to add?

Leo Horishny
Sun Valley, NV

Posts: 22 | Location: Nevada in the USA | Registered: September 20, 2021
Picture of Bill Stockton
posted
Hi Leo
Not sure what you were looking at but to my knowledge there was never a purple ribbon "device". What the purple ribbon refers to is a cloth ribbon that was over the front of South Bend watches in the original display box. Just a marketing thing. I don't have an available photo but if you search "South Bend Watch Purple Ribbon" I assume one will come up.

Posts: 10 | Location: Mishawaka, Indiana in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2021
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Using the "Find or Search" feature on our IHC185 Discussion Site, I did a very cursory look at South-Bend Catalogs and Literature and found "Purple Ribbon" with this information...

http://library.ihc185.com/SB/aaads/c_04_19.jpg

http://library.ihc185.com/SB/aaads/c_03_19.jpg

(That second link includes the "free watch chain" they offered at times as an enticement, an offer like that is likely what Leo found in our archives and referenced in his posting above.)

This is a Grade 227 from Lindell's collection, factory-cased example of a desirable Railroad watch...

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Ultra-rare "South-Bend Director's Watch" far less than 100 produced (also from Lindell's collection)

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Menber 3062
posted
Thank you both. I have to track the ad down again, I'm remembering what I saw different and what I think I was seeing was a watch fob, with a swallowtail edge, that was a purple ribbon.

Maybe I misremembering what I saw, but I thought there was a purple ribbon watch fob. That was the "device" I was thinking of. I'll have to dive back in and try to find it. It was a circa 1920s era drawing, as I recall.

Those purple ribbon photos are cool looking though, definitely a distinctive ad campaign!

Leo

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I don't think the purple ribbon was anything more than a marketing ploy, as shown in this ad.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Menber 3062
posted
That seems to be the case[sic]. A clever one though.