Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Advice for the ignorant needed "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks for the info Bruce. I learn something every day!

And thanks Patrick for posting your technique.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
Patrick, that's a nice little unit. I never would've thought of Harbor Freight. There is an outlet store near me that will be paid a visit shortly. Thanks for posting that!

Roger, do you really rinse your parts with tap water?

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Eric...Yep, plain old H2O and dry immediately. Have never had a problem.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
The sound waves are actually transmitted more efficiently through metal and glass than they are through water. It is true that some of the cavitation energy can be dissipated at the boundaries between liquid and glass or metal. This is easily remedied by leaving the ultrasonic on a little longer. I find this much easier than having to repeatedly dump, rinse, and dry the whole unit. Overall, I have been quite pleased with this technique.

Posts: 25 | Location: Haines, Alaska in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2008
posted
I found a cleaner nearly identical to the last picture. I read some where about using beakers for the cleaning solutions in the cleaner. So, I bought 6 beakers off ebay for $21 including shipping. I've yet to test this brilliant plan, but we shall see!

Posts: 26 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona in the USA | Registered: April 20, 2010
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
I have read through this post and would like to add a few comments.

I have been told, not sure why, that if you are going to use mason jars, or beakers in an ultrasonic bath, the jars must be suspended and not touch the sides or bottom of the ultrasonic.
They actually make a new machine with this set up and it can be purchased new with the beakers from Casker and Borel with Sweepzone technology where the waves hit the parts from all angles.

Old beater machines do work, and they are still made and sell for over $1000 without ultrasonic. The best machines beat and have ultrasonic.

As far as cleaning the watch. After cleaning thousands of watches, and cleaning watches sent to me by customers that just had their watches professionally cleaned, I can tell you that if the cap jewels are left in the watch, it is likely the jewels will remain absolutely filthy after cleaning. How many times do watchmakers have to scrape the gunk off them with pegwood?
Also, one should get used to taking out pallets, since it is the only way to check for freedom.
Also, how are you going to oil the center wheel jewel and the arbor with the cannon pinion on??? So, at the bear minimum, remove the cannon pinion, barrel bridge and mainspring barrel, and all cap jewels.
Also, you would be surprised the difference in amplitude when the cap jewels are really clean.
By not doing this, you are reducing amplitude and causing excessive pivot wear on the watch. If you aren't going to remove the cap jewels, at least dunk the whole thing in One Dip in an attempt to break up some of the dried oil in the jewels before and after cleaning. I recommend that all parts be ultrasonically cleaned for a minimum of 3 minutes without heat. If your roller jewels and pallet stones are properly attached, they won't fall off. Think of the amount of force you pallet stones are taking in the watch. If they come out in the ultrasonic, they are definitly going to fall out in the watch while running or while you are working on it. Check them before you clean them. The only product that will dissolve shellac is alcohol. It is safe to dip them in One Dip too. These parts need cleanliness more than any of the other parts, so make sure they are clean.

Ultrasonic machines. The more powerful the cavitation, the better the cleaning. I have used a bunch of them and all will work. Make sure you use good cleaner and rinse. I used L and R for years, now I only use Zenith. I especially like the Drizebrite Rinse they make. Chemicals don't last forever. Change them when they get dirty and your rinse gets a green tint. Be careful drying. Some of the old time dryers are fiercely hot. I think you could actually change your haispring with them. Hairsprings can be cleaned in your ultrasonic, if they are attached to the balance, and if you have a watch with shock resistant jewel settings, you can put the balance cock and the balance on the pillar plate once the jewels are removed and clean them while attached. After Cleaning I always give the balance a dunk in One Dip.

Mainsprings should not be cleaned that way and only cleaned removed from the barrel using watch tissue dipped in One Dip. Then oiled with a watch tissue with some mainspring oil on it. You just pull the spring through the watch tissue.

New mainsprings should not be cleaned and not be oiled at all, if they are white. The only time they should be oiled is if they have been cleaned.

Well, to make a long story short, the Bulova Watchmaster Ultrasonic is excellent. The beaker system works. and the old beaters work too. Don't be in a hurry and you can find one on Ebay for a decent price. Jump the gun and you will spend too much. There should be a difference between a jewelry ultrasonic and a watch cleaner ultrasonic.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Scott, I think you just about covered it there, the more parts you strip down the more you can clean and inspect, I often will machine clean with cap jewels in place then afterwards split so I can hand clean and know they are completely free of gunk, cleaning fluids and nothing washed back in or trapped residues that way. jewelry cleaning tanks etc are ok for basic home use will be different power levels etc cannot beat a correct designed for use watch cleaning machine for quality and safety. Using the correct non destructive cleaning fluids is more important than if it spins or ultrasonic action. For me also Zenith makes the best. Here is a photo of my favorite cleaning machines I use, fully automatic, with oscillating rotation and ultrasonic, I run typically 6 mins per jar for most, and control the speeds of each depending on what I have in there

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Here is the ultrasonic machine on Ebay that Scott has recommended.
IMHO The sellers shipping cost is outrageous.

Bulova watchmaster

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Phil : outrageous !! -maybe not!!! - if you read the ad he is from Thailand and is quoting airmail. I just sent that lathe to Turkey surface mail and it was $106. The cleaning machine in question is a very heavy unit ,so subtract the cost of shipping from the value to you of the machine , and the difference is what you can bid to , IMHO
( and I have seen them sell for from $400 to $1200 depending on wear tear appearance and condition)

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I have 3 watchmaster cleaning machines for sale if anyone is looking email me.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Hi Tom, I confess that I did not realize he was in Thailand. I hereby publicly apologize. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Phil: of course,never having knowingly done anything wrong in my life (As our former prime minister Brian Mulroney said of himself one day,mind you he was widely known as "lyin Brian") I find it difficult to forgive you , but I will force myself to do so LOL Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
as well Phil ,that was most honourable and gracious of you,bravo!!