Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Size Code , Winding question ..... "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bob Williams
posted
I posted this question on the pocket watch page , they suggested I put it in the technical group so here it is ......

I am still not sure about what the s after the size means 16s.

I also have another simple question ( I hope ). I have acquired several reasonably priced (cheap) watches. Most of them do not work but I have two that do. They are all Elgins . The question is ..... how tight and how often to wind them. The one runs really well but I want to be careful not to over wind. The other winds up ok but requires a tap to get it started. It also seems that if I wind it tight there is a slippage of some kind and the tension goes out of the winding. when I wind again the tension increase and then slips again. I assume that this means the center of the main spring is not properly anchored or there is some sort of over winding protection in the watch.

The more I learn the more questions I have. Thanks again for everyones time and attention.

Bob Williams

Posts: 52 | Location: Toledo, Ohio in the USA | Registered: March 05, 2008
posted
The s in 16s is for size. 12s = 12 size,18s = 18 size.

I'm sure the mainspring is broken in the watch you are having winding troubles with. If you don't want to mess with these just send them to me and I can fix them for you.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Lawrence, since you're offering, is the service free?

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
My advice is free. Labor cost is a little higher. Smile

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
Picture of Bob Williams
posted
Thanks Lawrence I'll keep that in mind.

Bob Williams

Posts: 52 | Location: Toledo, Ohio in the USA | Registered: March 05, 2008