WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

embarrassing new guy question: accessing oil from the bottle "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi everybody,
right now i am reassembling my 1884 elgin, just finished step 5 from Chris Abells' service checlist. so far so good. time to start oiling. and now for my embarrassing problem. how do you get the oil out of the bottle? i have tried inverting it, shaking it, using an oiler poked into it while upside down hoping capillary action would do the trick. yet my beautiful agate oil cup sits empty. do i stick a piece of pegwood into the vial and pull out a glob? i can't believe i am being beaten by this tiny expensive vial of oil.
todd

dalarry

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Todd,

Put your blue (2.5mm) screw driver into the vial of oil, pull it out and transfer the oil into your cup. If you do this twice, you will have a really good supply.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Todd,
As William stated, and you'll only need a tiny amount of oil, just dip the very tip of your screwdriver, you'll get a feel as you get more practice.
Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Take your expensive $ 15.00 or so bottle and set it on a sturdy red table. Smash it with a hammer and then strain it through an old Blue tee-shirt into the oil cup. You must pay close attention to the colors.
Patrick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
thank you Patrick,
i literally Laughed Out Loud.
when this bottle of oil arrived i thought i had been ripped off. after oiling the watch i realized this is a lot of oil. will last a long time
Todd

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
"i realized this is a lot of oil. will last a long time"
Todd
check the shelf life of that oil ist 5 years if Im not wrong again.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi Peter,
a couple of things bother me,
1: there is no date on the vial.
2: the printing on the vial rubs off easily, not
quality printing.
3: if i put a drop of this oil on a piece of glass
it evaporates after a couple of hours.
is it possible this oil is counterfeit mobius? does counterfeit mobius exist?
dam, double dam dam.
misspelling intentional
Todd

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
5-6 years self life for most oils

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011