WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Technical, Shop Talk and Internet Links  Hop To Forums  Watch Repair Questions and Answers    Book: "Science of Watch Repairing Simplified" & other technical book recommendations
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Book: "Science of Watch Repairing Simplified" & other technical book recommendations "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Now that I have my collection well underway, I want to expand my education into a more detailed understanding of the operation of the watches.

Found a nice copy of the book "Science of Watch Repairing Simplified" and ordered it.

I'm seeking recommendations for additional books/treatises on the subject and specifically those resources you find yourself referring back to on a frequent basis.

Thanks.

[Amazon: Science of watch repairing simplified: A treatise on the lever escapement and watch repairing]

Posts: 570 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 13, 2015
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
i have the same books as Peter does Keith, as a fellow student of this i have found The watch repair manual by Henry B. Fried was the best starter book for a person of limited knowledge.
the explanations and illustrations are well done and easily understood.
have fun!
todd

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
posted
Thanks, guys. I ordered the Fried book as well to start with.

Life Member
posted
When I first joined Horological Association of Maryland, Stan (I can't remember his last name) who is a retired master craftsman from the Bulova Factory told me to get copies of Freid and DeCarle.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
IHC Member 2030
posted
Keith
It takes a lot to be proficient, maybe years.

Reading list See page 34 from the AWCI "Standards and Practices for Watchmakers" discourse.

De carle should be on this list, great book.
Don't be a know it all when you know it all.be a humble guider like the experts on this site.
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
Thanks, Mike. Pretty comprehensive list. I think I'll stop at the use of a lathe. A man's got to know his limitations. Smile.

I'll make sure to add the Decarle book to the list, Dave. I think I have enough to keep me busy for a while. I've also asked Patrick to supply me with the PDF's on various horological topics that he's generously offered to club members.

Thanks for all of the useful replies.

posted
Here is one that was not on the list that has really helped me. The War Department Technical Manual TM 9-1575 From 1945. You can still find these on eBay. Jim

Posts: 47 | Location: Hollister California in the USA | Registered: October 04, 2014
Life Member
posted
quote:
I think I'll stop at the use of a lathe.

Keith, if you are at all like me, you will probably find, as you get more into it, that a lathe sounds like an awfully handy thing to have, because when you need one, that is really what you need. And that will open up a whole new world of skills to learn. I don't do a lot of turning, but I find the lathe almost indispensable for chores like polishing screw heads and pivots and such. Also, with a lathe, you can make things like bench keys and replacement stems. But I think you are wise to put that off for a bit.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
IHC Member 2030
posted
The TM-9 1575 is on this site free [in John D. Duvall's "HELPING HAND TUTORIALS"], excellent learning tool.

TM9 1575

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015