Internet Horology Club 185
Book: "Science of Watch Repairing Simplified" & other technical book recommendations

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/8653957587

July 08, 2015, 11:31
Keith Krugzda
Book: "Science of Watch Repairing Simplified" & other technical book recommendations
Now that I have my collection well underway, I want to expand my education into a more detailed understanding of the operation of the watches.

Found a nice copy of the book "Science of Watch Repairing Simplified" and ordered it.

I'm seeking recommendations for additional books/treatises on the subject and specifically those resources you find yourself referring back to on a frequent basis.

Thanks.

[Amazon: Science of watch repairing simplified: A treatise on the lever escapement and watch repairing]

July 08, 2015, 11:51
Peter Kaszubski
I have

The watch repair manual by Henry B. Fried
Practical watch repair by Donald De Carle
Master watchmaking a modern,complete,practical course from Chicago school of watchmaking by Thomas Sweazy

never enough, buy the watch repair manual as many did here.
July 08, 2015, 16:26
Todd Verriere
i have the same books as Peter does Keith, as a fellow student of this i have found The watch repair manual by Henry B. Fried was the best starter book for a person of limited knowledge.
the explanations and illustrations are well done and easily understood.
have fun!
todd
July 08, 2015, 16:39
Keith Krugzda
Thanks, guys. I ordered the Fried book as well to start with.
July 08, 2015, 23:46
David E. Booth, Jr.
When I first joined Horological Association of Maryland, Stan (I can't remember his last name) who is a retired master craftsman from the Bulova Factory told me to get copies of Freid and DeCarle.
July 09, 2015, 22:13
Mike Benda
Keith
It takes a lot to be proficient, maybe years.

Reading list See page 34 from the AWCI "Standards and Practices for Watchmakers" discourse.

De carle should be on this list, great book.
Don't be a know it all when you know it all.be a humble guider like the experts on this site.
Mike

July 10, 2015, 06:55
Keith Krugzda
Thanks, Mike. Pretty comprehensive list. I think I'll stop at the use of a lathe. A man's got to know his limitations. Smile.

I'll make sure to add the Decarle book to the list, Dave. I think I have enough to keep me busy for a while. I've also asked Patrick to supply me with the PDF's on various horological topics that he's generously offered to club members.

Thanks for all of the useful replies.
October 09, 2015, 16:33
Jimmy E. Staples
Here is one that was not on the list that has really helped me. The War Department Technical Manual TM 9-1575 From 1945. You can still find these on eBay. Jim

October 12, 2015, 00:20
David E. Booth, Jr.
quote:
I think I'll stop at the use of a lathe.

Keith, if you are at all like me, you will probably find, as you get more into it, that a lathe sounds like an awfully handy thing to have, because when you need one, that is really what you need. And that will open up a whole new world of skills to learn. I don't do a lot of turning, but I find the lathe almost indispensable for chores like polishing screw heads and pivots and such. Also, with a lathe, you can make things like bench keys and replacement stems. But I think you are wise to put that off for a bit.
October 12, 2015, 17:22
Mike Benda
The TM-9 1575 is on this site free [in John D. Duvall's "HELPING HAND TUTORIALS"], excellent learning tool.

TM9 1575