Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 12s, 17j, G, 383 (h3n2p) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
The safety pinion let loose of the gear.
There is the pinion shaft, the wheel, the gear and a tiny washer.
How tight should I put the gear on the wheel and where does the washer go? Between the bottom of the gear and the jewel or between the gear and the wheel?

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
Patrick
The washer goes between the wheel and the gear..Just snug the gear up on the center wheel doesnt have to be tight the mainspring barrel will hold it on as tight as it needs to be...

Posts: 2007 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
That's the "Fogg's Patented Safety Pinion".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Kermit, I presume.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
It took me a second to realize this is a frog joke... You made me laugh Razz

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
The safety pinion is one of the most elegant inventions ever. A mainspring letting go at full wind can cause horrendous damage to any watch no so equipped. ...and zero damage to one that is!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008