Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton staff "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1613
posted
Has anyone replaced the staff on a 7 jewel Hamilton...If so what staff did you use...It seems like a Hamilton 18 size single roller staff is to short...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Gary, what's the serial number of the movement?

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Gary I only know of 4 Hamilton 18s 127LC, 127SC, 126LC and 126SC. It would not surprise me at all that the 7j and 11j models may not be documented or that yours could have been modified with hole different hole and cap jewels. I know all the very early 5 digit and less serial numbers jewels are different sizes than the serial numbers after 100,000. Good luck my friend I wish I new the answer.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
Brian serial is 2221....All the Hamilton 18 size single roller staffs are to short...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
Harry I was thinking maybe someone had replaced a staff on one of these and maybe knew a sub since none of the regular Hamilton single roller staffs don't seem to be long enough....Take care my friend...

IHC Life Member
posted
I can make a staff, however it would be quite expensive and would be quite awhile before I could get to it.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Member 1613
posted
Roger thanks for the offer....I have a fellow that is going to make the staff for me, I was just trying to come up with a staff for the watch so I wouldn't have to pay to have one made....You are right it is expensive to have one made...

IHC Member 1555
posted
Do you know how much too short the standard Hamilton 18 size staff is Gary?

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
Bila if I remember right the fellow that is restoring the watch for me told me the standard Hamilton staff is 5.44mm long and the one needed should be around 5.7mm....I think he is working on one now for me....This watch had a lot of problems and is going to be pretty expensive to have restored....O well its only money right...LOL...Do you still need the 992 pallet....

IHC Member 1555
posted
Would love to know the complete dimensions Gary, from memory there is a substitute you can use that works quite well. I just would like to double check dimensions, as this was passed on by a Watchmaker some years ago to me and is floating around in some of my notes I have stored away.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Pallet is still needed if you find one, I'll even take a parts movement if need be, cheers.