Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin B.W. Raymond Grade 478 Balance Staff "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I am replacing a staff for an Elgin B.W. Raymond grade 478 and want to make sure I have the correct part number. Is it a 2532C Balance Staff? The roller table is a one piece double roller. The posts and research I have looked at have lead me to that, but just want to make sure. Serial number is: 30926906. Thanks.
Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
Picture of Brian C.
posted
2532-C is the staff a grade 478 should have.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Great, thanks for the info. I will start my search for one Smile

Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
Dan,

a 2532 will fit and perform well. The 2532-C is a designator for the oil groove and is more correct for the BWR.

Let me know if you have trouble locating a staff. I think Mel has some. I snapped up everyone I could find this past year... which is still a pretty small stash.

I'm surprised Brian didn't say he had one available... he may be out.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
posted
Hi Guys I do have some left 2532
Do not know what the oil groove looks like.
Mel at
mrmel.mrmel@gmail.com

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
IHC Member 1613
posted
Tried to get a picture of the difference..The staff on the right is the "2532C"...The one on the left is the 2532...The difference is in the taper on the pivots...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
posted
Looks like the one has less taper.
Mine is like the picture attached.

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Thanks, this is what I pulled out of the watch (see below). I will also post a pic of the watch.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Movement...

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Balance incomplete...

I don't think that the roller table will fit based on the way the old balance staff looks. Could it have been the wrong balance (complete) in the original?

IHC Member 1736
posted
Dan,

The one I did last fall is much earlier - SN: 17337424

My parts book shows both the two piece roller and safety roller or the one piece double roller both being correct for this model. I assume they changed over but have no idea at what serial number.

Your roller should fit either staff. The shoulders are the same. And I believe, oil groove is a misnomer.... if memory serves me correctly... it's actually an oil "anti-travel" relief... to prevent oil from an over oiled pivot from traveling up the staff.

My balance is serialized to my movement.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
The one I am working on did not have a serial number on the balance. Plus the balance I have looks like an Elinvar type (solid) and the balance spring is silver instead of blued. I tried a balance from a 7 jewel Elgin I had laying around and it fit pretty good ... The plot thickens...

IHC Member 1613
posted
Dan,
That looks like the balance assembly, with the one piece roller, out of a 571...I would try a balance staff number 6166 (571 21 jewel staff)...A 6167 might work also if the balance was out of a lower jewel movement..

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Dan, I confirmed the Factory s/n/gr#/p/n list shows Part" 2532C for your S/N movement. As I no longer have my Elgin Parts cabinets, I cannot validate the earlier pictures of the parts. But your parts picture is unmistakably for a single piece double roller.

The rather high serial number of your movement suggests that this SHOULD BE a single piece double roller but if the pictures of the 2-piece D.R. staff are this P/N, then still the fact remains you "have what you have"

In these cases, I would "match up" the correct staff to fix your watch due to the possibility that a different staff (or balance wheel assembly) was used to repair your watch in the past.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1613
posted
Notice Paul's balance is a split balance and yours is a solid balance...This tells you that good possibility yours has been swapped out...

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
The 6167 does look closer to what is in the watch. I will look through my stuff and see if I have a 6167 laying around. Thanks everyone for the info and helping me figure this out. I will let you know how things turn out.
Dan

IHC Member 1613
posted
Dan,
If you don't have one I can send you one...Gary