Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I ASSUME IT'S A JEWEL PROBLEM ~SOLVED~ "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
As U can C in the photo the dohickey was rubbing on the thingeymabobber. The Balance wheel tried so hard to run that it actually left a groove in the plate. The wheel wobbles in the hole but the staff looks good. I assume it's a jewel problem and have removed the bottom jewel. Top seems to be OK. I can't tell a good jewel from a can of shoe polish, but what else could it be? This is a Elgin, 18s, 7 j, # 13313958. In a silveroid case. Anybody got a cure? It's an old keepsake.
Thanks
Patrick 1616
What you see in the plate is exactly what is there. Something missing ?

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
Patrick-

It coudl be a wrong length staff. wouldn't be the first time I've seen someone put the wrong staff in a watch. It would have a wobble, yet the pivots on the staff are good and the jewels are correct. The other thing it could be is the cock arm being bent. Hard to tell sometimes.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Member 1613
posted
Could be the wrong staff like Jared mentioned..Also it might be the wrong lower jewel...The setting might be too thick not letting the cap jewel lift the balance up higher.

Posts: 2007 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks to both of you for your replies. In the Chicago school book photo 13-5 it shows a basically double jewel top and bottom. On tear down I only found 1 in the bottom. COULD it be that a jewel replacement would fix the problem and if so where can I get them?
Thanks
Patrick 1616

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
Patrick-

did the bottom jewel just have the pivot jewel or the cap jewel? The pivot jewel obviously has the hole for the pivot and the cap jewel fits tight again this pivot jewel and is what keeps the pivot from dropping thru the pivot jewel hole all the way.

Thanks,

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Member 1613
posted
Patrick,
It looks like I can see the balance jewel in the picture so if there is only one jewel if would be the cap jewel that is missing...Is it an Elgin movement??Let me know and the serial number and I will check to see if I have one around here..If I do I will mail it to you...

Posts: 2007 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
How about a picture of the back side of the plate.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Eugene and everybody else, here are Pictures of the back of the plate and the jewel I removed. There is definitely something missing or broken.. I have double checked and the staff and can't really see inside the tight end of the hairspring but it looks as if there is a tit on the end of the staff.

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is what I removed.

IHC Life Member
posted
If the bottom of the staff pivot is good. and when you look thru jewels that are in the cup look good.then you will have to focus you attention on the top side of the balance staff. when you look at the jewels the one that has the hole in it should be a perfect hole not oblong or cracked. the flat jewel that is called a cap jewel should be smooth with no pit or hole where the end of the pivot has been wearing it. When you say tilt on the hairspring side then That is most likely the problem area.

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is the link that is offered on Ihc that might help. Watch Parts

IHC Life Member
posted
Thank you for all your help and the many that answered my call for help.
Patrick 1616