• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ding repair "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I guess I have more than 1 question... The first being about my Hamilton dare devil Linwood. I took it to have the band switched to the leather and it came back to me with some nasty dings...this watch was virtually perfect I didn't even have the chance to really wear it . I was hoping if these dings were repairable..Question 2 who could do it and where can I learn to do my own repairs and maintenance on my watches , thanks for any info...

Posts: 26 | Location: Alberta Province in Canada | Registered: February 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Troy

Ding repair , that is a easy one, I would recommend Leon Harris to be found on this sight.

As for doing your own repairs, I would say either find a mentor locally who can teach you. Possibly you can meet one at your local chapter meeting or consider going to full time watchmaking school. Suitcase courses are available but a very limited in what they can cover in the time allowed.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Thanks so much Chris ,for the info I will find out more if there is any training locally, I know the demand here is huge for clock and watch repair and noone to do it .. That is one big reason for my interest the other is I am kind of picky about the condition of my watches and will contact woh you suggested.. thanks again

Posts: 26 | Location: Alberta Province in Canada | Registered: February 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Troy,

I was just talking to a watchmaker in the north and he runs a course, you may want to check out your local colleges see if anything going on there, visit you local watchmakers see how friendly he/she is and maybe able to point you to a group or club. I have a friend who does clocks only, does the full service, pick up, repair, delivery and set up, he say that works well as he has no questions when he leaves the clock is working correctly, collects his check at delivery. He does good work and charges a high dollar for this currently he has more work than he can do, clocks due to difficulty of shipping can very lucrative for the right person. I use to visit a clock shop in Rhode Island he opened something like 2 hrs twice a week (mid week!) to take in repairs and had them queuing to drop items off. He said that he did this limited opening so he could take in work and have the rest of the time to work in peace and allow him to make house calls. Something worth thinking about. For me at the moment I can work on the tiniest watches so sticking with WW & pocket watches, Fancy strightening a hairspring!

quote:
I teach a Continuing Education Watchrepair/Micromachining
class at North Seattle Community College

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Watchmaker
Picture of Leon Harris
posted
Hi Troy, Chris had emailed me this link about the watch dings. Most of the tools that are availible are made for pocket watch cases, so for a wrist watch they are to big. So here is the fun part you can make them out of a hard wood or if you can get your shapes right you can make them out of metal. I have a laser welded and some of the time it is better to fill in the dent. You will need to be careful not to do more damage to the case. If you can post a picture I would be glad to look at it and give you my oppinion.

My email address is HarrisLJ@msn.com
cell #931-261-0543

Posts: 296 | Location: Livingston, Tennessee USA | Registered: May 20, 2006
posted
Thanks for all the awesome info , I will get back to you when I have a little more time.. I guess I was incorrect as saying the problem with my watch is a ding , it looks more like a scrape from a precision screwdriver . The type that could be polished and buffed out to even the metal out.. I almost felt like buying a Linwood case and transfering the movement and dial over but I think it could be saved by someone with the right patience and skill.. I am apprenticing as a millwright now and am used to working on big stuff , but watches and clocks are what interests me .. thanks again and I will be in touch..Troy

posted
Hi Troy,

I'm a newbie too and very much a beginner at watch repair. For scratch repair I've had good results with stuff called 'micro-mesh', it's available in various grades down to ludicrously fine grit size. Violin restorers use it on Nickle and Ivory fitments etc; you should be able to get it from a Canadian or US outlet somewhere. Also, for gold and silver cases try grinding and polishing old inlet/outlet valves. You can cut and grind to the exact shape required and then, provided they're well polished, offer up the case and burnish the damaged areas out. It works for me and any slight scuffing left by the burnisher can be taken out with micro-mesh.

All the best,

Dick

Posts: 57 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: January 27, 2008
posted
Thanks Dick, I will look for this at local hobby shops I believe it can be used on a variety of materials I think i will give it a try. Troy