WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 972 runs for hours then suddenly overbanks "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Clark Reed
posted
I have a frustrating 16 size Hamilton 972 the 5 position 17J Hamilton that some have said is one of the best 17J watches. It is frustrating because it will run for sometimes 8 hours and keep pretty decent time being about 20-30 seconds fast in the 8 hour period, and runs in face-up and face-down positions for hours with no issue. Then, just before I gain confidence in it.... it will overbank. I have a lot of experience with 1940 Ford flathead V-8's which can also be accused of possession by spiritual forces, but I can't see them, so I can usually diagnose something that happens with some regularity and similar conditions present - - but I can't figure how to diagnose when there is nothing of substance causing the problem. I know the ultimate answer is to send it to Paul Davis - He can fix anything but a broken heart. I just want to find the guy who broke this watch's heart.....

Clark Reed

Posts: 531 | Location: Anderson, South Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 09, 2013
Picture of Clark Reed
posted
O K - I know as much as you do, and that is insufficient to diagnose much....so the watch will go to Paul Davis for his sweet stroke of genius, and he will let me know what caused the hiccups..... Thanks anyway

Clark Reed

Posts: 531 | Location: Anderson, South Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 09, 2013
posted
Hi Clark , there are a lot of reason's for overbanking , gaurd pin bent ,too much wear in the balance pivots , to much amplitude in the balance wheel [credit to scott ceullo] and this link about it also
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...733950587#4733950587
i would look the balance over good

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
Picture of Clark Reed
posted
Kevin - Thank you for the info - I knew I was unqualified to fix it, but I like to know how to diagnose simpler problems just for the knowledge of the engineering of it. I appreciate your reply. I sent it to Paul Davis for examination. Thanks again !

Clark Reed

IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Hello everyone, just for the info, I have Clarke watch up and running, two main problems caused the over banking and stoppage, first off the movement was badly gunked up which allowed it to run some but stiff, and the next problem was the pallet fork was twisted just enough to not be able to catch the roller jewel after it passed by on its return, all fixed and running great now....thanks Clark..

Paul Davis

Posts: 672 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2015