• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dial Attachment Methods? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Dial is missing feet, very fragile, how to attach it to movement? Have heard about dial dots glue and such but want some good practical advice. This thing is 16s pocket watch so is large enough to work with. Thankyou, Jim.

James Daigle

Posts: 27 | Location: Bartlesville, Oklahoma USA | Registered: November 05, 2005
posted
Jim, Some watches used snap-on dials that were held in place with a retainer ring. If this dial was meant to have dial feet and they have been clipped, there are several ways to remedy the situation. One way is dial dots as you mentioned. I have successfully reattached dial feet using liquid solder. This necessitates clipping dial feet from a destroyed dial and reattaching them with a small dot of liquid solder. Then using a very fine bit on a dremel tool, you grind away the excess solder.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Picture of Shawn Johnston
posted
Jim,
Tom has given you good advice.Just to add another bit that might help,if you can get or have a copy of Fried's book "Bench practices for watch & clockmakers",he presents some good tips on dial reattachment.
Hope this helps
Shawn

Posts: 47 | Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada | Registered: January 08, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
James,

Can you post a close-up picture of the dial? I've had some success in replacing dial feet using JB Weld. Here is a post about dial feet from September 2003.

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
This is waltham 16s painted dial. Not rare and exotic but good dial. Somehow 2 dial feet missing. Do not want to heat or fool much with this painted dial as will hurt the thing. Has one foot to stableize it, Probably going to get a dial dot or two for a fix. Thankyou again, Jim.

James Daigle

Posts: 27 | Location: Bartlesville, Oklahoma USA | Registered: November 05, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
James,

I'm going to do a presentation on making dial feet and attaching them with JB Weld. When I get around to that project, I can make you a couple of copper dial feet. All I need is the diameter of your remaining one.

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003