Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

what type winding stem do i use "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
I have some wristwatch,s that have a 0 size movements in them I am attaching a picture of 2 of them...My question is what type of stem setup did these use there is no threads in the case to put a pocket watch style sleeve in..

Pictures would be of a great help to me...
the watch on the left is a waltham and the other is a ideal watch co.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
edge of the waltham movement..

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
shot of the winding setup under the dial on the waltham ..

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
These take a short inverted sleeve that slips in from the inside of the case ring. There are no threads. I will post a picture later this evening if no one else has had a chance.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Thanks Jerry looking foward to seeing the pictures..I have quite a few parts and may have the right stem..

posted
Jerry, I have several cases with that setup and never knew exactly what it was called. Thanks. Now I know it is an inverted sleeve.

Tom

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is a photo that I hope adequately illustrates the setup. The flange on one end of the sleeve fits in a recess in the case ring. When the movement is in place it is held so that the stem can click in and out. Tom - the term "inverted sleeve" is my own but seemed to describe the sleeve. Now that I look in my Waltham material catalog I see that Waltham, at least, called it a "reverse sleeve"

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is a picture of everything assembled.

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Great pictures Jerry.
There are also pictures of stems and sleeves in the Swigart's American Watch Movements catalog, (in the back).
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
THANKS JERRY FOR THE GREAT PICTURES ,,I will look through the parts i have and se if i have the right parts....

Are the parts something that can still be bought ..
Smile

posted
Jerry, I'll call it an inverted sleeve and give you credit for it.

Sammie, Jerry mentioned this above, but be sure that the movement is in the case for this type of setup to work proberly.

Tom