• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is this tool worth it? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I wanted to get some opinions or suggestions for my new problem. I am working on my infamous Montblanc Timewalker and the minute hand keeps coming loose. Bergeon sells a tool called a tube tightener. It's only $589.00! Cheap huh?

Is there something that you guys might use that will be a little more cost effective? Normally I would just change the hand to a new one, unfortunately Montblanc does not sell parts to "unauthorized" dealers.

Posts: 38 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada in the USA | Registered: November 27, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Staking set?

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
posted
I was worried a staking set may crush the tube. I would rather get one of those instead of a tool that I might only use a couple times.

Posts: 38 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada in the USA | Registered: November 27, 2010
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
A staking set will handle this, just proceed with care.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Then a staking set it is.

posted
Does the minute hand have a tube, as second hands typically do? If it doesn't this tool probably wouldn't help. If it has a tube, another technique I've read about is to squeeze it in a collet in a lathe.

Posts: 222 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: June 12, 2011
IHC Member 1691
posted
Or a pin vise..

Regards

Peter

Posts: 259 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: March 19, 2012
Picture of Brian C.
posted
If you use a pin vice on the second hand tube, put a broach through the tube so you don't close the tube too much.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
You're right it doesn't have a tube. My bad. Any other suggestions. New minute wheel?

posted
Peter, if you have access to The Watch Repairers Manual, by Henry B. Fried, he describes how to reduce the size of the holes in hands in chapter 3.

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Peter, check out John Duvalls Helping Hand tutorials, there is a section on fitting hands you may find helpful:

Fitting & Installation of Pocket Watch Hands

posted
That was very informative. Thank you.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Gorilla Glue

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011