WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Technical, Shop Talk and Internet Links  Hop To Forums  Watch Repair Questions and Answers    Need your ideas: how do you hold the main wheel to turn the shaft? (Closed)
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need your ideas: how do you hold the main wheel to turn the shaft? (Closed) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
This is on a Elgin but any watch is included. When one pulls the main gear or wheel out and sees that the arbor (pinion)needs to be polished how do you hold the wheel to turn the shaft. There is only a nub sticking out on the other side. I would like a way to hold it in my WW Lathe. I've seen the tool but can't remember what its called. If you have one you would like to sell I would be interested.
Thanks
Patrick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 2030
posted
Patrick
I think the jacot pivot polisher that I got from you will do this. Do you need it back?

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
Life Member
posted
Alternatively, you can pick up a balance chuck. They come up fairly often on ebay, and usually go fairly reasonably. Just make certain the one you bid on has the proper collet configuration for your lathe. (WW taper vs. coniodal, 8mm vs 6mm or 10 mm, etc.)
If you do an online search for images, there are several varieties that will come up. (Apparently there were different patents issued for different chucking methods.)

I've never tried using one (I am new to watch work, having spent the past twenty or thirty years playing with clocks.)

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
IHC Life Member
posted
Mike & David.
What I am looking for goes in the lathe. It has several steps in it and you put the wheel in it and tighten it up & turn it. You use a very fine file or stone to polish it. It has to be held by the wheel as the nub only sticks out about 1 or 2 mm.
Thanks for your replies.
Patrick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 2030
posted
This description may help?
Surely someone on sit has one for you.Collet

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Life Member
posted
Mike, I bought them. You hit it right on the nail head.
Thanks
Patrick

Life Member
posted
I didn't read carefully. When I saw the balance wheel in the jacot, I assumed you were trying to polish balance staff pivots. That was why I said a balance chuck. Wheel chucks are handy for polishing screw heads, too. That way, you don't have to take a chance of messing up the threads, chucking them in a collet.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
IHC Life Member
posted
Thank you all for your response.
Patrick.