Internet Horology Club 185
Need your ideas: how do you hold the main wheel to turn the shaft? (Closed)

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/7113945587

June 09, 2015, 14:40
Patrick Wallin
Need your ideas: how do you hold the main wheel to turn the shaft? (Closed)
This is on a Elgin but any watch is included. When one pulls the main gear or wheel out and sees that the arbor (pinion)needs to be polished how do you hold the wheel to turn the shaft. There is only a nub sticking out on the other side. I would like a way to hold it in my WW Lathe. I've seen the tool but can't remember what its called. If you have one you would like to sell I would be interested.
Thanks
Patrick
June 09, 2015, 20:22
Mike Benda
Patrick
I think the jacot pivot polisher that I got from you will do this. Do you need it back?

June 10, 2015, 16:18
David E. Booth, Jr.
Alternatively, you can pick up a balance chuck. They come up fairly often on ebay, and usually go fairly reasonably. Just make certain the one you bid on has the proper collet configuration for your lathe. (WW taper vs. coniodal, 8mm vs 6mm or 10 mm, etc.)
If you do an online search for images, there are several varieties that will come up. (Apparently there were different patents issued for different chucking methods.)

I've never tried using one (I am new to watch work, having spent the past twenty or thirty years playing with clocks.)
June 10, 2015, 18:43
Patrick Wallin
Mike & David.
What I am looking for goes in the lathe. It has several steps in it and you put the wheel in it and tighten it up & turn it. You use a very fine file or stone to polish it. It has to be held by the wheel as the nub only sticks out about 1 or 2 mm.
Thanks for your replies.
Patrick
June 10, 2015, 22:14
Mike Benda
This description may help?
Surely someone on sit has one for you.Collet
June 11, 2015, 12:52
Patrick Wallin
Mike, I bought them. You hit it right on the nail head.
Thanks
Patrick
June 11, 2015, 23:19
David E. Booth, Jr.
I didn't read carefully. When I saw the balance wheel in the jacot, I assumed you were trying to polish balance staff pivots. That was why I said a balance chuck. Wheel chucks are handy for polishing screw heads, too. That way, you don't have to take a chance of messing up the threads, chucking them in a collet.
June 13, 2015, 18:38
Patrick Wallin
Thank you all for your response.
Patrick.