Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Shock proof jewel question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I have been working on 60s vintage I think Croton mens wristwatch, was running before I started. Pretty dirty, disassembled for a cleaning. Broke the retaining spring that holds the plate side balance jewels, so now it will run dial side down, but that's all. How do you replace the spring and where can I get one, looked on Some material sites, but I don't know how to identify the calibre/ maker of the movement. Any advice, help appreciated.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Gerald, yes it is.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
I do not recognize the movement but the shock protection looks like 'incabloc'. To change the spring you wil need a stacking tool. The jewel setting is removed by pushing in (some suggestions on bending the spring are useless).

Incabloc

handling

Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Gerald, after checking out the links you posted, looks like an incabloc setting. Do you mean staking tool? Im still not clear on how to replace the lyre shaped spring, even if I had one.

Gary

IHC Life Member
posted
Otto Frei carries replacements. The TimeZone class has instructions on how to remove and replace incablocs. You also might find something on YouTube.

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
posted
Just visited Timezone, never heard of it before, Thanks Evan.