Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pocket Watch Hand Removal Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
I know this is a real basic question, but I could really use the help. Is there any reason why a cannon pinion remover should not be used to remove the hands from a watch? It has feet with hard nylon that would set on the dial. If it is OK, should the tool be used to remove both the hour and minute hands at the same time or should it be placed between the hands, and the minute hand removed first?

Scott Cerullo
cerullo34@aol.com

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Scott,

I always pull hands one at a time. I also lift up on the puller to keep the feet off the dial during removal. I cut a piece of watch paper to put between the hands and dial to reduce the chance of scratching or dammaging the dial.
Pulling the hands one at a time reduces the upward pull on the center wheel jewel and further prevents breakage of the jewel. I dont know what a cannon puller looks like but have never needed one. Give it a shot and be careful.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
A old picture negative cut with a v works well - The best hand puller I have is an old K&D puller -top picture is a cannon puller, not well suited for removing hands.

Cannon Puller

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Scott,

Is the cannon pinion remover you are referring to a Presto #2? If so, it also can be used for removing hands. The best hand remover would be the Presto #7. It does not make contact with the dial and puts no added pressure against the center wheel jewels when the minute hand is pulled.

Aaron and many of us have read that you should pull only one hand at a time due to the stress against the center wheel jewel. However, when you think about the mechanics of it, the hour hand is attached to the hour wheel. The hour wheel is not attached to the cannon pinion. So if you were to pull both hands at the same time, the only stress against the center wheel jewel should be when the hour hand and/or hour wheel is pulled up against the minute hand. Since the minute hand IS attached to the cannon pinion, the only stress against the jewel is the force required to separate the minute hand from the cannon pinion. More stress is applied to the center wheel jewel when the cannon pinion is removed than removing the hands. Depending upon what type of hand remover you use, you could be applying more pressure against the dial when removing two hands at the same time but not the center wheel jewel.

To make my point, let's say we are only removing the hour hand. Is any linear stress being applied to the center wheel jewel? Let's see by using the Presto hand remover. We position the hand remover under the hour hand. We squeeze the sides of the remover which forces the legs against the dial and the jaws pull up on the hour hand hub. Since the hour hand is attached to the hour wheel, the hour wheel slides up until it makes contact with the dial. Since the hour wheel can no longer move, the hand is pulled off. I would be of the opinion that the dial is in more danger of damage than the center wheel jewel if you were pulling both hands at the same time.

John D. Duvall
Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Place the watch and puller inside a zip lock bag. It will catch that flying minute hand and trap it safely in the bag.

This lesson was reinforced last night when I spent 1/2 hour looking for a minute hand - zing.... Luckily I heard it hit the wall. I feel very fortunate to find it so quickly.

Charlie

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Everyone,

JohnD's pictures of two Presto designs prompted me to show the pictures you see below. The one I use is the Bergeon "Presto Number 1" which as you can see might actually be better suited to our use. I find it holds the hands securely and with this tool I have never had a mishap. To guard against loss I very carefully hold my left hand over the tool as a shield "just in case" and Charlie's idea of a "catch-bag" also sounds like good insurance. Searching the room for a hand with a magnet can be frustrating, time consuming and at times futile.

For what it's worth I've found we may be better off paying the extra money for the Bergeon branded tools. They really are better made, stronger and more reliable. Twice I did damage to a dial, the first time was without the proper tool using the screwdriver method John Fogerty mentioned above. The other was when a generic hand puller broke and slipped. I cannot too strongly recommend buying only top quality tools.

Bergeon Presto 1 has a spring loaded center plunger...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

With it hands are held safely and securely in place...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I also use a Presto #1, like Lindell's. The center plunger nicely keeps the hand from flying. I pull one hand at a time so as to not put excessive pressure on the dial. The fiber feet seem to protect most enamel dials from scratching, but for fancy metal dials I recommend a dial protector. As mentioned above it is easy to make a dial protector from a piece of thin film negative or mylar, or even watch paper. Here is a picture of an old celluloid give-away from the Gruen Watch Co.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Removing multiple hands in one stroke won't cause added pressure on the center wheel jewel, but it will cause the puller to exert more pressure against the dial, which has the potential to crack porcelain dials, or bend metal ones.

The exception occurs while using a Presto #7 (or #4), which exert the pulling force against the center of the cannon pinion and/or center wheel arbor. I often use those, but they obviously won't work for removing most seconds hands.

As pointed out above the Presto #1 is safe, the hand won't get away from you it is easy to use and can also be used for seconds hands.

If you want one tool to use on most watches the Presto #1 is the logical choice.

=================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
John, Lindell, and Everyone,
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Yes my puller is a Presto #2. Looks like you guys recommend getting the #1 for most uses, the #2 does not have the center plunger that holds the hand.

Scott Cerullo
cerullo34@aol.com

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003