• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Removing Hair Spring "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I find it hard to get a pair of levers on the collet without bending or breaking off the hairSpring to remove it.

I am ready to resign mySelf to use of a staking set. It seems those tools aren’t good or need to be modified.

Any favorite or best known methods to choose?

Posts: 144 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2018
Picture of Brian C.
posted
James, e-mail me I might be able to help you.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Hi James , do you have a picture of what your using ? Here are the tools I like , the first is a fork I think from KD they make a small and large , get the small , the other is a collet adjuster made from an old mainspring , if you place the balance in a v block the roller table hold it still , careful of the jewel , it should point towards you, rotate the collet while inserting and gently lifting

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
homemade collet adjuster, Daves watch parts had some other tools , including pliers- does anyone use the pliers ? http://www.daveswatchparts.com/HairspringTools.html

posted
China red and blue handle on ebay.
I think I will try to thin them down on a stone.

They dont get under the collet very good.

posted
They just end up sliding up the brass and bend the spring without extra ordinary care. Just a bit blunt.

posted
Do You rotate with the one tool and lift with the forked KD tool ?

posted
actually I just slip it under the collet , I was shown to do both but the tool works really good , I have a set similar to what you have , and also damaged a few , I thought maybe they are too thick ?. I was really curious about the pliers also .