• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Re-attaching a seconds dial in a porcelain dial "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have some dials that the seconds bit has come loose from the dial. Is there a preferred bonding cement or glue to attach the seconds bit back in? What was the traditional way and what would be an acceptable way today?

Posts: 12 | Location: Washington State in the USA | Registered: October 04, 2017
IHC Member 1650
posted
I have had good success using G-S Hypo Cement. From the back of the dial, lay the seconds bit in place. Then lay a bead of cement around it. It is clear and thin enough that it fills the gaps without being noticeable, and flattens out as it dries. It stays somewhat flexible even after it dries.

This is the same cement I use for crystals.

I did a quick search of this site and found this discussion about some alternatives: Transformation!!

Posts: 369 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
posted
Hi Doug, thanks a bunch. I have used crystal cement before but was wondering if there was a new and improved. I'll have to get some more as my old tube is about out. Thanks

Posts: 12 | Location: Washington State in the USA | Registered: October 04, 2017
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks for the G-S Hypo cement tip. I’ve been looking for a good crystal cement and it looks like that’s sold at Walmart. I’ll pick up a tube!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Mark
The G-S hypo is a rubber type cement not very good for glass crystal, better option a UV clear glass glue, amazon has good selection.
Loose second hands need to have the tube tightened slightly, sometime after past work better to reem and retighten correctly if previously hacked.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks Chris! Can you suggest a specific brand I can order off Amazon! I found a tube of the other glue but I want the right product.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Thanks Chris. UV cure glue is used in optical manufacturing, and many other things.