Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Please help me install the cover "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi everyone.
I am looking for some instruction in regards to reinstalling the front cover on my Montblanc Timewalker wristwatch. I purchased the flat gaskets based on the measurements from the old one. When I install the newly lubricated gasket and try pressing in the cover, it squeezes one side of the gasket and wont seat into place. Should I order a thinner gasket? I ordered the same measurement from the one I removed. PLEASE HELP.
Peter Levy

Posts: 38 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada in the USA | Registered: November 27, 2010
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Peter,
If your replacing everything as original and no damage or distortion occurred when you removed parts, you probably just need the press to apply enough even pressure to seat it.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
I must of not put enough even pressure because one side keeps getting smashed. Is there something I should be doing before applying the pressure with my press. I put the gasket on the crystal side.
Thanks again for your response.
Peter

Posts: 38 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada in the USA | Registered: November 27, 2010
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Peter,
without having it in hand hard to say, did you lube the gasket?, check the cover fits well without the gasket, look for dirt etc, trapped in bezel recess, check damaged edges, if its the same size as the one you removed should fit, could the old one be wrong that someone jammed in there, or stretched

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
It's very possible that the gasket is wrong. I ordered an assortment of gaskets that should be here by Friday. I will double check the rest of your suggestions as well. Thank you so much for your help.
Peter