Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

staking set advise "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
... so I have been progressing in my watchmaking and now it's time to get a staking set. I'ts hard to find any good information on the web or in my books about what to look for in a staking set. So - I thought I'd ask the group here for some advise on what to look for in a staking set.

Thanks!
David

Posts: 58 | Location: Dripping Springs, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 29, 2004
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
David,
When purchasing a staking set there are a bunch of things to look for. First you want one with as many stakes, stumps, etc as possible. It should not be beat up, and don't buy a new one. I would recommend reading "Staking Sets and How to Use Them." It was written by K&D and will help you in making sure the one you buy is complete and functional. Some Staking sets have jeweling sets included. They are a little clumsy for jeweling, so I wouldn't lose out on a nice one just because it didn't have it. One last word of advice. Use the smallest lightest hammer you can get with it. I am astonished by the big hammers some people use to squash their staffs.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
David,

Several years ago I bought a K&D Inverto from Tom Mister at Dash-2 horological supply and have been very happy with it. I see that he has a few to choose from now on his site. His are priced fairly descent from what I've seen recently. The prices keep going up everywhere.

If you are just getting into this, even the most basic set will do 90% of what you will come across.

Here's a link to his tool list. Scroll down to catagory 12.

Dash-2 tool list

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
and that book that Scott mentioned:

Staking Tools and how to Use Them
by Kendrick and Davis Co, 1910

Printed by Arlington Book Company
ISBN 0-930163-16-8

Arlington Books

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
As Mike stated one of the "inverto" type sets is preferable since you can use stake-on-stake. Some of the Marshall/Boley sets have this feature also. This is very handy especially if you don`t have many stumps.

Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
posted
Thanks for the information! I'm trying to figure out what the proper price is vs. what I need. I may just go with one from Dashto.

Posts: 58 | Location: Dripping Springs, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 29, 2004
posted
Hi Doug:

For what it's worth, I have been doing business with Tom Mixter at Dashto for some time now, and have found him/them to be quite satifactory. Would suggest, however, that you really know what you want before ordering, as there is little opportunity to discuss the offerings.

Regards ...

Henry

Posts: 11 | Location: Durham County, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: October 20, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I'm in a similar situation to the original poster. The K&D 18 is an inverto (and says so in the name), but is there an easy way to tell an inverto from a non-inverto staking set?

Also, on some of the K&D inverto sets I've seen there is a micrometer and/or a lever. Are these just for jeweling?

And yes, I'm searching for the "Staking Sets" book--it's no longer listed on the linked website.

Thanks,
Evan

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Evan,

There is an easy way to tell an inverto from a non-inverto staking set. Simply put a stake in the lower portion of the frame, through the large hole in the die plate, and if it can be used as a stump it is an inverto; if the stake is too long to fit in the bottom of the frame it’s not an inverto.

The lever and micrometer work good to press parts when appropriate as an alternative to staking.

I’ll try sending you the K&D manual via e-mail.

Welcome to IHC185,

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Richard,
Once again the members on this forum amaze me. I received the manual and read it over lunch. Thank you very much!

Evan

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Evan. Mull this over in your mind. Why buy a small set to get started, when you will probably end up with the larger set in the end. Be sure its an Inverto.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Patrick,
I was all set to pull the trigger on Chris's 17 Inverto, but was too slow! Geez a guy's gotta be quick around here!
Evan

IHC Life Member
posted
You might send an note to Lindell. He might have an extra one. Be very careful what you buy. There is a lot of rusted junk for sale. Make sure you can get your money back if not satisfied. If from Lindell it will be a good set.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks. Will do.

I found an 18 set in Longview that I can actually look at in person. It's an Inverto, but not an "R" (no jeweling), but appears to be in decent shape and fairly complete from the pics.

IHC Life Member
posted
I have a jeweling set that I never use. I use my Marshall set that I purchased from Lindell and a few extra punches and stumps. I can turn my punch upside down and use it as a stump with another punch on top. I think you would be just fine with the Inverto without the jeweling set. You can always pick up a jeweling set in the future. Be sure the bores of all the holes are rust free. I'm only about an hour north from Longview.

IHC Life Member
posted
Patrick,
After closer inspection of photos of the 18 set in Longview I decided to pass. It was pretty complete, but there was a bit of rust, one of the punches was chipped, and it looked like a few of the stumps had junk in them.

I've found a pristine 18R set and am getting over my sticker shock, but am pretty much resigned to pull the trigger if I don't find anything similar for less money. Lindell has a few incomplete sets that he's putting together, but sounds like the project's been sidelined for a bit until he gets better.

One of the problems of being a rookie is you don't know what you don't know. I'm sure if I picked up a set I'd pretty quickly learn what's most important. Without that experience it's tough to know what matters and what doesn't, especially from photos.

I'm in PDX, but my daughter's at UW, so I get up to Seattle a few times a year. Would love to stop by sometime and see your setup.

Evan

IHC Life Member
posted
I think I paid $350.00 for my Marshall inverto set. It was complete, no rust at all and even had a few extra punches in a Near Mint box. Nice sets are out there, just bide your time.

IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks. Not too sure why I'm in such a hurry given that I don't have a clue how to use one yet. Daniels's Watchmaking arrived today, so I have some studying to do! More time reading and less time shopping ( yeah, right).

IHC Life Member
posted
Pulled the trigger on a pristine 18R set. It hurt a bit, but after spending an afternoon getting everything organized in its right(to me) place, I couldn't be happier.

Now to learn how to use it!

posted
Hi, I have been reading this thread with interest as I have only just purchased a K&D staking set at a local auction here in Oz.

I have been searching for the 'Staking Sets' book online as well and have been unable to find it. Can anyone suggest where I can get a copy, even a pdf copy?

Thanks

Geoff

Posts: 24 | Location: Adelaide in South Australia | Registered: July 15, 2009
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Geoff,

Just sent you a PDF.
Dave

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Beat me to it. Smile

IHC Member 1691
posted
Hi, if they are still going I would love a copy.

Regards

Peter - also in Oz

Posts: 259 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: March 19, 2012
posted
Thanks Dave!!

I've printed this out and it is going to permanently reside with the staking set.

Cheers

Geoff

Posts: 24 | Location: Adelaide in South Australia | Registered: July 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Chris,
Email on its way.
Evan

IHC Member 1691
posted
Thanks mate, great stuff.

Have you thought about attaching it to a post in the tools section?

Regards

Peter

IHC Life Member
posted
I just tried uploading this and another K&D instruction manual that Chris Abell sent me. Unfortunately both are too big to upload.

IHC Member 1691
posted
Oh well, worth a shot..

Regards

Peter

posted
I've been following this recent thread with much interest. I just purchased a very nice and complete K&D set and have been looking for the K&D literature that has been mentioned here on this thread.

Could/Would anyone please either email me a copy or provide me with a link as to where I might download the PDF copies.

Many thanks,

Mercator

Posts: 2 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California in the USA | Registered: November 03, 2012
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Brad welcome to IHC185,

I just sent you an e-mail with the K&D PDF manual.

Have a good day,

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010