Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Loose Dial problem "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Good evening:

I have a Model 88 16s Waltham with a loose dial. The holes on the plate that the feet of the dial go into are offset with the tightening screws on the edge. When I tighten the screws there seems to be no effect on the dial, i.e. it just falls off. On an 1883 model that I have, the edge screws are lined up to the center of the dial feet holes, and therefore when the screws are tightened it directly contacts the feet and holds the dial in place. Is it possible that a catch is to pivot out when the screws are tightened on this 88 model? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Grant Perry
NAWCC #0157065
Chapter 111
IHC-185 #141

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
The 88's (and 16S 99's) that I have seen have dial screws very slightly to one side of the center on the dial feet. The dial screws should enter slightly offset and perpendicular to the dial foot hole and secure the dial. When it doesn't happen, it could mean that A)The dial feet are worn. B) New dial screws have been installed, or C) a replacement dial, with smaller dial feet, has been put on the watch. I'm not quite sure of a fix, other than trying diffeternt dial screws.

Mike Miller
NAWCC Member# 154831
NAWCC-IHC Charter Member# 27

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Grant,

If the dial feet are too small in diameter, you may want to build up their width. You could try sleeving them or using some heat-shrink tubing like they use for electrical splicing on aircraft. Most electrical supply houses should have it. Find a piece that will just slip over the dial foot, trim it so that about about 2 mm's extend beyond the dial foot. They make special heating guns but you can try heating with a hair dryer set on high. The tubing should shrink and harden very tightly around the dial foot. Cut off any excess length.

This repair is reversible by removing the tubing with an Exacto or razor blade.

Just a thought.......

John D. Duvall
Rosamond, CA.
NAWCC Member 0144772
NAWCC IHC Member 192

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Mike/John:

Thank you for the tips!
Mike, I think you may be right. The dial seems to have excess shake when compare to other dials that I have worked with. I think the dial is probably not original to the movement. I think I will try the shrink tube or a replacement dial.

Thanks guys. Big Grin

Grant Perry
NAWCC #0157065
Chapter 111
IHC-185 #141

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003