• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

elgin grade 290 roller table "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've looked it up in the 1915 Elgin parts catalog, and can't really figure this out. I have a movement (elgin grade 290 class 109) I am trying to bring back to life, and a couple of parts movements. The one I'd like to make work has a double roller table with a bad staff: worn pivots.

Another one has a great staff and a single roller table with a broken roller jewel. I know I need to measure the length of the staff too, but let's assume they are the right length. Actually, how will I know which is the right length? They come in two different sizes.

But all thing being equal, can I swap the roller tables, or should I take the jewel from the double and put it in the single with the good staff?

Which is the correct roller table anyway? Same grade movements but different configuration. I wouldn't think I'd see that unless someone else changed a part out to a single roller table.

I now have the tools to do either fix, so I'm willing to try either one. It doesn't have to be the easier fix, but the one a master would do!

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
You really can't change a watch from a single to double roller. Well, at least not without also changing the pallet fork.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Dale

Some models & grades did have either single or double roller, so both you watches might be correct.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Frank, of course! I didn't think about that.

Ok, both you guys helped. I have to decide my next step. Basically, I need to buy a new staff for this watch, or put the roller jewel in the other watch and see if I can get that one working.

But let's say I were to buy a new staff. How do you know what length is correct? The pivots are so worn measuring won't be accurate. They're practically flat! And I know there are two sizes for that particular staff.

Thanks for all the help. So much to learn but it's great fun!

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009