Internet Horology Club 185
elgin grade 290 roller table

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/607105971

October 16, 2009, 11:32
Dale Brooks
elgin grade 290 roller table
I've looked it up in the 1915 Elgin parts catalog, and can't really figure this out. I have a movement (elgin grade 290 class 109) I am trying to bring back to life, and a couple of parts movements. The one I'd like to make work has a double roller table with a bad staff: worn pivots.

Another one has a great staff and a single roller table with a broken roller jewel. I know I need to measure the length of the staff too, but let's assume they are the right length. Actually, how will I know which is the right length? They come in two different sizes.

But all thing being equal, can I swap the roller tables, or should I take the jewel from the double and put it in the single with the good staff?

Which is the correct roller table anyway? Same grade movements but different configuration. I wouldn't think I'd see that unless someone else changed a part out to a single roller table.

I now have the tools to do either fix, so I'm willing to try either one. It doesn't have to be the easier fix, but the one a master would do!
October 16, 2009, 22:43
Frank Kusumoto
You really can't change a watch from a single to double roller. Well, at least not without also changing the pallet fork.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking.
October 16, 2009, 23:19
Tom Brown
Dale

Some models & grades did have either single or double roller, so both you watches might be correct.

Tom
October 17, 2009, 09:51
Dale Brooks
Frank, of course! I didn't think about that.

Ok, both you guys helped. I have to decide my next step. Basically, I need to buy a new staff for this watch, or put the roller jewel in the other watch and see if I can get that one working.

But let's say I were to buy a new staff. How do you know what length is correct? The pivots are so worn measuring won't be accurate. They're practically flat! And I know there are two sizes for that particular staff.

Thanks for all the help. So much to learn but it's great fun!