Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Two piece Balance Wheel. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
There has been a lot said about how to replace a staff.
Some just use a hammer and punch it out and others (Myself included) use a lathe to cut it out.
If you look at the posted picture of the wheel you can see that, at one time it was punched. There are no lathe markings (Circular patterns) on it.
The customer was upset because he "Just had it done last year"
Almost every book out there says to cut the staff out. I think most don't do it because it's easier to just whack it out with a hammer instead of taking time to set up the lathe or they don't know how to use the lathe, or don't have one.
I found and installed a different wheel and then checked it thoroughly be for I sent it back.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
Two of those would make a real cool pair of ear rings.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
Picture of George Ulrich
posted
I'm a believer, bright side you can still use the weights Big Grin

Posts: 119 | Location: Alton, Illinois in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2013
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
here we go again
It was not watch maker by long shot that did that to a balance wheel it was a blacksmith or butcher perhaps shoemaker.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
It is almost like religion. Tired of hearing about it. I think he was a shoemaker also. Thats was funny Peter!

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
I think it was done by a demolitions expert!

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Maybe while cutting out the old staff his cutter 'slipped" and hit the wheel rim. I have seen the results of that before and it looks a lot like this, plus you have to look all over for the cutter. I had one watch where the last owner tried soldering the wheel back together!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Fire in the hole ! kaboom staff been replace

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Brian C.
posted
The hairspring pin looks very nice as well. Smile

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002