• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin movement replacement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I want to change a defunct Elgin movement at the moment in a nice hunter case. I don't know how to select a replacement movement that will fit the case. Please help.

The movement in the case at the moment is a Grade 290 16 size 7 jewel code h3n6p

When I look at movements on the auction site, how do I know which ones will fit the case? Can I choose a better movement? Which Elgin mopvements are suitable for a hunter case?

posted
Irwin, Any model 6 or 8 will fit nicely. Both are pendant set as yours is. Don't go with any model 5 or below. These movements are thicker and require a special case.

Tom

posted
That's great Tom. Thank you.
Now I know what I am looking for.
It takes an expert.....

posted
Tom, Anther question or two if I may.

Looking at the Complete Price Guide....on Page 204 there are two Model 6s shown, one of them (middle row left hand side) has three finger bridges and is Grade 156. Would this fit the case? I understand that the movements with the finger bridges are better quality than the movement shown in the top row, right hand side. Do I have the option of looking for the finger bridge movement?

The movement that is to be replaced has 7 jewels. Replacing it gives me the opportunity to upgrade the movement. Can this be done just by looking for a pendant set movement with more jewels?

The Model 8 (bottom right on the same page) is lever set so therefore not suitable for my case. Is there also a pendant set Model 8 that just isn't described in the Complete price Guide....?

Hope you have patience for my novice questions.

posted
Irwin, You are right on the model 8. It is a lever set. I guess I had a senior moment.

Any grade of model 6 will fit your case. Generally the 3 finger bridge models were a higher grade. I have an Elgin model 6, 15J, 3 finger bridge watch. It is listed as being more scarce than the higher grade movements.

Tom

posted
Tom,

Following your advice, after searching for several days, last night I found a couple of movements on eBay that I believe meet the requirements.

1. Elgin MOVEMENT 16 SIZE OPEN FACE GRADE 312 , 15 JEWELS NICKLE PLATES , PENDANT WIND PENDANT SET , RUNNING , STAFF IS GOOD.NOTE THIS IS A HUNTING MOVEMENT IN AN OPEN FACE CASE .

2. elgin, 3finger brdg, gold jewel settings, gold center wheel, 17 jewel adj, est prod date 1901

Somehow, I won them both, so assuming they both fit the case, I am going to have a multiple choice as to which one to use in my case.

They are both an improvement on the original 7 jewel movement.

Thanks for the help.

posted
Tom,

Having followed your advice on what movement to look for and having bought the replacement movement, I thought you might like to see the final result.

I replaced the original movement with a 15 jewel, double roller one. I also changed the dial, fitted new hands and cleaned up the case. I'm not sure if the hands are a matching pair. They don't look it to me. They came with the movement I used. The orginal hands on this watch, which I prefer esthetically, wouldn't fit on the canon pinion.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

And the final result..

posted
And the case, which is also worth a look...

posted
And the new replacement movement doing its stuff...