• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Staking set or Jeweling set? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I expect the answer is "both", but should I get a staking set or a jeweling set first?
It's easy to see if a balance staff is broken, but it usually takes more effort to determine the state of the jewels.

I guess I've answered my own question. Is there anything else I should consider?

Posts: 18 | Location: Kelowna, British Columbia. | Registered: November 04, 2007
IHC Member 1693
posted
Don't do what I did Michael. That is start with a small staking set, then get a better one, only to buy a 3rd to get a good one. Get a real nice complete invertro set With the jeweling attachment and be done with it.

Posts: 352 | Location: Southeast Michigan in the USA | Registered: March 22, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
If $$ is a problem get the staking set first. A lot of jewels can be replaced with out an expensive set. I have a jeweling set and I rarely use it as most of the work can be done with a good staking set. The better ones have reamers too and a micrometer.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
Thanks for the input, gentlemen.
The tax refund should be here soon, then I'll keep my eye out for a staking set with jeweling attachment.

Posts: 18 | Location: Kelowna, British Columbia. | Registered: November 04, 2007