Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Shellac "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
When cementing a roller jewel, or pallet jewel with shellac, how long should the shellac be left to harden before putting the jewel in -service. Is there any set time.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
Frank,

The nice thing about shellac is just how quick it sets... as long as it takes to cool. With the small parts we are dealing with is almost instantaneous. The secret in getting shellac to be a good bonding agent is getting all parts clean and free of any oils, dirt etc.

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Mike

Thanks for the information. I just replaced my first roller jewel, and wasn't sure how long I had to wait before putting the roller back in service.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Congrats on your first roller jewel replacement Frank. Let us know how the watch comes out.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Frank, was the roller replacement job a very dificult one, those roller jewels can be pretty small to see and to get hold of?

posted
Replacing roller jewels to me is an "Art"...The biggest problem I have is figuring out the sizes. Diameter, length, round, half round. Is there a chart or something that tells what fits what..For American 18 size pockets just how many "sizes" are there ????

John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
John,
I usually just go hy hole size in roller. This is not proper procedure but is right most of the time. If it`s wrong I have to redo it.
You are supposed to use a roller jewel gauge. Find the finger that just fits into the fork. The size on this finger is proper roller jewel diameter. Then choose the correct jewel (round, half round, etc.) with that diameter.
The chart below may help you.

Smile

Kenny

Roller jewel sizes

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
posted
Brian
The watch was a good patient, and came thru the procedure with flying colors. It's now happily ticking away the hours.

Kevin
The replacement of the roller jewel wasn't too difficult, as I had the right tools on hand.I have a pair of tweezers,just made for the job. They where purchased from Dashto. They have a groove on the ends that securely hold the jewel while you position it in place. I first tried it with my regular tipped tweezers, and I couldn't really handle it. The part of the job that I was really concerned with was not to overheat the shellac.

John
I gauged the size of the jewel by using a roller jewel gauge, as I could not locate the original one. That was also purchased at Dashto's site.

Frank

posted
Kenny,

Thanks for the chart.. do you understand what the purpose of the different diameters serve. Sometimes it appears that there are 5 thousands different for the same model watch..??? A wider fork opening on the same model, accomplihes what???

John

posted
Frank, A tip on holding the roller jewel on the tweezers. I touch my tongue with finger then apply just a small amount of saliva to the tip of the tweezers. This will hold the roller jewel onto the end of the tweezers.

A trick taught to me by my watchmaker buddy.

Tom

posted
Hi Tom
Thanks for that tip. I also read that somewhere, but never tried it. Next time.
Hey Tom, the next time I'm out your neck of the woods, you will have to introduce me to your buddy, and I won't forget to come bearing gifts, I owe you.

Frank

Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
quote:
Kenny,

Thanks for the chart.. do you understand what the purpose of the different diameters serve. Sometimes it appears that there are 5 thousands different for the same model watch..??? A wider fork opening on the same model, accomplihes what???

John

ConfusedI don`t have a clue! Confused

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
posted
Kenny,

I get it now... I have a Waltham model 83 with the "RARE" #54 roller jewel not he "COMMON" #52... Wink

John

posted
Hi Frank, Give me a hollar and come on out. I'll take you watch scrounging the western PA way.

Tom

posted
Tom

Thanks for the invite. The next time I'm headed out to western Maryland to visit my brother-in-law,I will give you a call and swing-by,for a visit.

Frank