WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Technical, Shop Talk and Internet Links  Hop To Forums  Watch Repair Questions and Answers    Take down & repair instruction etc.: Modern Watch and Clock Repairing
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Take down & repair instruction etc.: Modern Watch and Clock Repairing "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
For the not-Roger-Nolfes out there like me, I'd like to point out a good book in addition to the venerable The Watch Repairer's Manual by H. B. Fried. It's called Modern Watch and Clock Repairing by P. Buford Harris. It's a good book - ie., easy to understand, correct in the methodology, and thorough enough to be a companion to the Fried book, or a stand-alone go-to for understanding and help, and it is readily available and inexpensive, the main reason that I'm piping up about it. Not everyone can afford or even find the H.B. Fried.

[Sold on Amazon]

kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
That's funny Ken. Smile

Good books like the one you suggest are an essential part of gaining knowledge. I will never know all there is to know and will never stop learning something new.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
I reckon that partially explains why you're so good at it, Roger. You and some other experts here have that great attitude.

K.

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
If you have a watch timing machine a good book to get (Hard to find) is "Science of Watch Repairing Simplified", by Thisell. 1946, Thisell was the instructor at Elgin Watch School. In this book he lists most of the patterns output by a Watch Machine. How to spot loose pallets, bad jewels, problem Mainsprings to just plain wore out. Amazon.com found me a copy, but it took two weeks to get it.
I am going to check on Kens suggestion.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011