Internet Horology Club 185
Take down & repair instruction etc.: Modern Watch and Clock Repairing

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/5383955187

February 11, 2014, 02:28
Ken Habeeb
Take down & repair instruction etc.: Modern Watch and Clock Repairing
For the not-Roger-Nolfes out there like me, I'd like to point out a good book in addition to the venerable The Watch Repairer's Manual by H. B. Fried. It's called Modern Watch and Clock Repairing by P. Buford Harris. It's a good book - ie., easy to understand, correct in the methodology, and thorough enough to be a companion to the Fried book, or a stand-alone go-to for understanding and help, and it is readily available and inexpensive, the main reason that I'm piping up about it. Not everyone can afford or even find the H.B. Fried.

[Sold on Amazon]

kh

February 11, 2014, 10:01
Roger J. Nolfe
That's funny Ken. Smile

Good books like the one you suggest are an essential part of gaining knowledge. I will never know all there is to know and will never stop learning something new.
February 12, 2014, 00:36
Ken Habeeb
I reckon that partially explains why you're so good at it, Roger. You and some other experts here have that great attitude.

K.
March 31, 2014, 17:21
Patrick Wallin
If you have a watch timing machine a good book to get (Hard to find) is "Science of Watch Repairing Simplified", by Thisell. 1946, Thisell was the instructor at Elgin Watch School. In this book he lists most of the patterns output by a Watch Machine. How to spot loose pallets, bad jewels, problem Mainsprings to just plain wore out. Amazon.com found me a copy, but it took two weeks to get it.
I am going to check on Kens suggestion.