Notify
Tools
ACCUTRON, BASIC TOOLS AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

ACCUTRON, BASIC TOOLS AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION

If you enjoy wearing Bulova Accutron Watches you'll find these basic tools interesting.

Below left, the correctly formed key which easily changes the 214 Energy Cell. Recommended replacement cell for the 214 is a Number 387S (which includes a plastic spacer) but if it is not readily available a 394 will power the watch and may actually cost less, same thing, no spacer. The tool in the upper left eases off the back from the 218 for which I use a Number 344 Cell. Very same tool removes the entire 214 case-back when needed. In the upper right the round plastic tool marked "Accutron By Bulova" which I use when removing a gold case-back to prevent marring. If you like Accutrons, these tools are worth finding.

Remember, unlike other battery powered watches, with an Accutron, the cell goes plus side in.
Oh, the quarter is there to show size, unfortunately the tools are somewhat more costly than that, but still a very smart investment.

Here are three worthwhile tools for Accutron users...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Thanks Lindell,
I will be looking for these tools from now on.
Learn something new every day on the 185 site.

Tony Dukes

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Tony,

The Accutron was available in many configurations. Today the "Railroad Approved" models are special to many of us. In the next three images you'll see a booklet that was included with the 214 RR version. The information included may be helpful to any 214 owner and especially worthwhile in understanding certain points.

For those unfamiliar with Accutrons, the 214 sets by use of a setting handle on the back rather than a conventional crown.

Lindell

Attractive cover of this informative booklet...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Specific Maintenance and 214 Railroad Approved Recommendations...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Back page also has worthwhile information...

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Took a peek on eBay today under 'Accutron', and several of these tools are there at the moment, in case anyone is interested. Regards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Lindell: You are the Accutron expert, so you get this question. My 218 just quit running. The battery is good. This a 35 year old day date model with the day at 12, and the date at 6. What is the most common problem to expect with these watches?

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Jerry,

They are relatively problem free, other than just normal service.

If the energy cell is ever put in the wrong way it will instantly take out the coils. Always remember, the Accutron Tuning Fork Watches use the cell PLUS SIDE IN unlike other battery powered watches.

There is a nice listing of Accutron sites under this link...

CLICK FOR: "The Amazing Bulova Accutron"

You'll find a lot of information and competent service listings as well.

Lindell

Smile

posted
Another question for Lindell. I own an Accuquartz Navigator Mark III. What movement did Bulova use in these chronometers?

IHC President
Life Member
posted

No clue Jerry, I wish I knew as much as you think I do! Big Grin

By the way, when you put a new energy cell in your Accutron 214 or 218 and the watch fails to start, give it a sharp "tap" to shake the tuning fork into vibrating. If it worked before it should work now. Just be careful to never install the battery incorrectly.

Wink

posted
Lindell: I found a site that says the Navigator Mark III uses a 224 movement!

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Something you might find useful...

Railroad Approved Accutrons feature two styles of hands.

On the left below, a correct 24-Hour Dial and hands combination featuring a shorter "tulip" on the hour hand to make room for the inner 13-24 track of numerals. Then on the right you will see the longer hour hand which is appropriately styled for the 12-Hour Dial. This difference in hands pertains to both the 214 and 218 Accutron Railroad Approved Models.

Comparison of differences in RR Approved Accutron Hands...