Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watch w/a Consistent Stopping Point... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...to what can one attribute the cause of a watch whose sweep hand runs then stops at the same position on the chapter ring...watch will then resume running when the hands are reset...I'm referring to a Bulova (caravelle) quartz movement in this case...thanks...Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Jim,

Is it possible that the arbor for the center seconds hand is bent? That would be all I could think of off hand.

What we need is some sort of expert here. Wink

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
It may be simply that the second hand is touching the dial at that spot. If not,problem somewhere in the train in the arbor/teeth/pinion of the second hand gearing.

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
It's probably a small speck of debris stuck between a couple of wheel teeth.

Every time the wheel rotates to the same place, the pinion it turns locks up on the debris.

I've only seen that happen about 10,000 times, in virtually every type of watch.

==================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...much appreciate your advice...will initiate and
report...thanks!...Jim C

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...well the watch went back to it's owner (a neighbour) correct twice a day...I checked the hands and their clearance and all appeared to be fine...got down to pulling out the printed circuit board on my way to the wheels and pinions and decided that this exercise was well beyond my level of skill/knowledge and buttoned it back up...it went back to my neighbour 'buttons and bows' intact (as well as a new battery...:0)

posted
Probably the best thing for it. Back to the neighbor. Wink

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002