Internet Horology Club 185
Watch w/a Consistent Stopping Point...

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/5356092373

July 16, 2003, 17:32
Jim Cope
Watch w/a Consistent Stopping Point...
...to what can one attribute the cause of a watch whose sweep hand runs then stops at the same position on the chapter ring...watch will then resume running when the hands are reset...I'm referring to a Bulova (caravelle) quartz movement in this case...thanks...Jim C
July 16, 2003, 17:53
Aaron Bereiter
Jim,

Is it possible that the arbor for the center seconds hand is bent? That would be all I could think of off hand.

What we need is some sort of expert here. Wink

Aaron

July 16, 2003, 19:31
Sam Williamson
It may be simply that the second hand is touching the dial at that spot. If not,problem somewhere in the train in the arbor/teeth/pinion of the second hand gearing.

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185
July 17, 2003, 06:10
Steve Maddox
It's probably a small speck of debris stuck between a couple of wheel teeth.

Every time the wheel rotates to the same place, the pinion it turns locks up on the debris.

I've only seen that happen about 10,000 times, in virtually every type of watch.

==================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49
July 18, 2003, 07:50
Jim Cope
...much appreciate your advice...will initiate and
report...thanks!...Jim C
July 22, 2003, 08:41
Jim Cope
...well the watch went back to it's owner (a neighbour) correct twice a day...I checked the hands and their clearance and all appeared to be fine...got down to pulling out the printed circuit board on my way to the wheels and pinions and decided that this exercise was well beyond my level of skill/knowledge and buttoned it back up...it went back to my neighbour 'buttons and bows' intact (as well as a new battery...:0)
July 22, 2003, 08:46
Aaron Bereiter
Probably the best thing for it. Back to the neighbor. Wink

Aaron