• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1927 Elgin 12s Grade 345 - crown removal? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a 1927 Elgin 12s Grade 345 with a peacock dial. It is running intermittently and I believe it needs a good clean, could have a damaged staff or possibly one of the balance jewels is damaged.
Only thing is...how do I get it out of the case??? I am used to Elgin and Waltham 16s timers which have a crown stem screw. This has nothing. I remove the case screws, and the movement is loose in the case, but I cannot shift the crown. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here - probably my lack of experience with this type of watch. Any help?

Posts: 8 | Location: Bristol, United Kingdom | Registered: February 13, 2008
IHC Member
posted
How about a pic'? Maybe one of us will get lucky!

Marty

posted
Some pics as requested.

posted
Here's another...

posted
You should be able to pull it down and out of the case. Pull the crown up to make this easier. There is no stem/crown retaining screw etc. for this movement. I'm not in any way a skilled repair person, but I've take movements like this out of dozens of cases. If it doesn't come out with a little fidgeting the something is wrong.

best,
Tom O.

Posts: 94 | Location: Collinsville, Virginia in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Simon

Tom is correct, if you pull the stem out to the set mode & then with the movement screws removed the watch should tip out the dial side starting at the 6 o'clock end first & then pulling the movement off the remainder of the stem.

As Tom said, most American made pocket watches do not have a stem retaining screw, the stem stays in the case while putting the movement in or out.

Good Luck
Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member
posted
I agree with Tom; if the stem is up like I said earlier and she's still stubborn, slowly turn the crown while gently jiggling the movement...that should do it...

Marty

IHC Member
posted
You do realize that it is removed dial -side-? I had to ask!

Marty

posted
Dial-side!! Ah-ha!! You see, my collection is mostly military stopwatches and timers and almost all my pieces come out back side (if you'll excuse the expression). I assume this is a snap fit bezel and not a screw? I don't want to force it off with a case opener when I should be twisting it!
Thanks to all of you for your responses thus far.

IHC Member
posted
HA! that's GREAT news-and I imagine it is a screw bezel-just be careful! Good Luck - Marty

Marty

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Simon,

I believe you will find the bezel is snap-fit in the same manner as the back. The big difference is, the bezel is not usually hinged. The little "ear" that is used to pry should be between 5 and 10 minutes but may not be installed in the correct position.

Like Marty advised, be very careful, work only in a well-lighted area over table or desk-top and use great caution because when it un-snaps it can get away from you. The reason they used a snap-fit design on these was in order to make the case design slimmer.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member
posted
Simon-See why I'm a member of Internet Horology Club 185? What would I do without these guys? I'd probably be up to my knees in broken watches!

Marty

posted
Many thanks for your help, guys. The movement is now out and waiting for me to dig in. The bezel was a snap fit (thanks Lindell) but was very difficult to detect as there were no witness marks where it had been removed before (or someone had been very careful/professional).